'Journal', 1821-2, n.d.
'Journal', 1821-2, voyage from Naples, Malta, Alexandria to Cairo, and journeys elsewhere in Egypt and in Nubia (mainly on the Nile) as far south as Samne [Semna], including occasional ink sketches and copies of inscriptions, with:
- (p. iii) Arabic vocabulary in Roman transliteration
- (p. 13) plan of the Pyramids [at Giza] after Norden
- (pp. 55, 78) maps of the Nile
- (pp. 88-100) ground plans of temples
- (pp. 141-4) doggerel verse entitled 'Morning in the Eastern Desert'
- (pp. 150-1) draft pedigree of Wilkinson's family, n.d. (after 1839)
- (pp. 189-94) notes on hieroglyphics and Egyptian deities.
- Creation: 1821-2, n.d.
Language of Materials
MS. Wilkinson dep. d. 47
'Journal 1821 Egypt', 1 (W); XXXIV, 29 (GIA); B 29 (interim).
For notes and a sketch map originally loose at pp. 54-5 of this volume and removed while it was in the custody of the Griffith Institute, see MS. Wilkinson dep. c. 12, fol. 1; for other loose papers found in this volume, see MS. Wilkinson dep. c. 24, fols. 1-4.
Binding: half calf, decorated boards.