Clarendon Press Manuscripts
Miscellaneous collection of printed books and manuscripts, relating to classical literature and theology.
- 18th century-19th century
Language of Materials
English, Latin, Ancient Greek, German, Coptic, and Italian
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Clar. Press b. 6].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Clar. Press b. 6, b. 9-11, c. 1-23, c. 25-6, c. 28, c. 30-41, d. 2-58, e. 1-37, e. 39-60, e. 62, f. 1-2
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12833
Biographical / Historical
This collection comprises material owned or compiled by the following classical and oriental scholars of the 18th and 19th centuries: F. J. Bast (1771-1811); Edward Burton (1794-1836), Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford; Peter Elmsley (1773-1825); Salomon Hess (1763-1837); John Lewis (1675-1747); Cesar de Missy (1703-1775); John Randolph (1749-1813); Giuseppe Torelli (1721-1781); Jonathan Toup (1713-1785); C. G. Woide (1725-1790); and Daniel Wyttenbach (1746-1820).
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 38004-165.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited on revocable loan in the Bodleian in 1885. The deposit, with some additions made after 1885, was converted into a gift in 1922.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- Bast | Friedrich Jakob | 1771-1811 | Greek Scholar
- Burton | Edward | 1794-1836 | Professor of Divinity
- Classical literature
- De Missy | Cesar | 1703-1775 | Theologian
- Elmsley | Peter | 1773-1825 | Classical Scholar
- Hess | Saloman | 1763-1837 | Historian
- Lewis | John | 1675-1747 | Antiquary
- Randolph | John | 1749-1813 | Bishop of London
- Torelli | Giuseppe | 1721-1781 | Classicist
- Toup | Jonathan | 1713-1785 | Philologist and Classical Editor
- Woide | Charles Godfrey | 1725-1790 | Orientalist
- Wyttenbach | Daniel | 1746-1820 | Classicist
- Clarendon Press Manuscripts
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description