Archive of Joseph Bingham
Sermons and other writings of Joseph Bingham, consisting of:
- Sermons, 1695-1763
- Translation of fourteen discourses of St. Chrysostom, 1716
- Annals of the papacy, 1252-1558, the original heading 'Hist. of Pop. usurpations & rebel. from 1512 to 1558'
- Two sets of praelectiones by Joseph Bingham the younger (1713-35), written at Corpus Christi College, Oxford, 1733
0.60 Linear metres (8 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. th. e. 156, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. th. e. 156-7, f. 47-50; Eng. hist. f. 13; Eng. misc. e. 582
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10720, 10721
Archive of Joseph Bingham (1668-1723).
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Bingham (1668-1723) was a theologian and historian. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 46741-8.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1964.
- Catalogue of the archive of Joseph Bingham
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description