Miscellaneous Documents relating mainly to Norfolk and Suffolk
A collection of miscellaneous documents relating mainly to Norfolk and Suffolk, 15th-17th century, comprising:
- a table in the hand of John Anstis (17th century)
- copies of a list of valuations of benefices in the diocese of Norwich; and of a list of monasteries, appropriated churches and other items, and various dues
- a 16th-century copy of 'Cartae et confirmaciones domus S. Sepulchri Canonicorum Theford' (Thetford, Norfolk), with notes by Thomas Tanner and Peter Le Neve
- 17th-century extracts relating to feudal services in Norfolk temp Edward I and Edward III
- a late 15th-century copy of Kirkby's Quest for Yorkshire, 1284-5
- 17th-century extracts from patent rolls 12 Henry IV, containing the Commission to take oaths to keep the peace, with the return of names from the counties.
Fols. 1-12 of the original foliation are missing.
- 15th-17th century
0.33 Linear metres (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Top. gen. c. 69/1, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Top. gen. c. 69/1-2, c. 69*
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13269
Miscellaneous Documents relating mainly to Norfolk and Suffolk, 15th-17th century.
Biographical / Historical
Peter Le Neve (1661-1729) was a Norfolk antiquary; John Anstis, the elder (1669-1744) was a heraldic writer and Garter King of Arms. See the Dictionary of National Biography for further details.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 54144-54146.
Owned by Peter Le Neve and John Anstis; note perhaps in the hand of Marmaduke Tunstall (fol. 2) 'Bought at Mr Anstis late Garter's sale [S. Barker & G. Leigh, 12 Dec.] 1768... for £1-7-0d', lot 360; owned by Arthur Wakerley.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library, Sotheby's, 9 July 1951, lot 602.
- Miscellaneous Documents relating mainly to Norfolk and Suffolk
- Collection Level Description by Susan Thomas; EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description