Clarendon Press Manuscripts
Miscellaneous collection of printed books and manuscripts, relating to classical literature and theology.
- Creation: 1514-late 19th century
17.82 Linear metres (162 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Clar. Press b. 6, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Clar. Press b. 6, b. 1-5, 9-11, c. 1-23, c. 25-6, c. 28, c. 30-41, d. 0a-58, e. 1-37, e. 39-60, e. 62, f. 1-2
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12833
Manuscripts owned or compiled by classical and oriental scholars of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Biographical / Historical
This collection comprises material owned or compiled by the following classical and oriental scholars of the 18th and 19th centuries:
- F. J. Bast (1771-1811)
- Edward Burton (1794-1836)
- Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford; Peter Elmsley (1773-1825)
- Salomon Hess (1763-1837)
- John Lewis (1675-1747)
- Cesar de Missy (1703-1775)
- John Randolph (1749-1813)
- Giuseppe Torelli (1721-1781)
- Jonathan Toup (1713-1785)
- C. G. Woide (1725-1790)
- Daniel Wyttenbach (1746-1820).
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 38004-38165.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited on revocable loan in the Bodleian in 1885. The deposit, with some additions made after 1885, was converted into a gift in 1922.
- Bast | Friedrich Jakob | 1771-1811 | Greek Scholar (Person)
- Burton | Edward | 1794-1836 | Professor of Divinity (Person)
- De Missy | Cesar | 1703-1775 | Theologian (Person)
- Elmsley | Peter | 1773-1825 | Classical Scholar (Person)
- Hess | Saloman | 1763-1837 | Historian (Person)
- Lewis | John | 1675-1747 | Antiquary (Person)
- Randolph | John | 1749-1813 | Bishop of London (Person)
- Torelli | Giuseppe | 1721-1781 | Classicist (Person)
- Toup | Jonathan | 1713-1785 | Philologist and Classical Editor (Person)
- Woide | Charles Godfrey | 1725-1790 | Orientalist (Person)
- Wyttenbach | Daniel | 1746-1820 | Classicist (Person)
- Clarendon Press Manuscripts
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Kelly Burchmore
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description