Journal of Sir Frederic Madden
The journal of Sir Frederic Madden, with some papers and correspondence, including a fragment of an early 13th-century homily for Palm Sunday in Middle English.
4.99 Linear metres (47 boxes)
Language of Materials
- English, Middle (1100-1500)
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. hist. c. 140].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. hist. c. 140-182; Eng. misc. c. 96, d. 99-100, f. 35
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13200
Journal of Sir Frederic Madden, 1819-1872
Biographical / Historical
Sir Frederic Madden (1801-1873), Keeper of Manuscripts, British Museum, 1837-1866, was an antiquary and palaeographer. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 39761-807.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were bequeathed to the Bodleian in 1873, on condition that the box containing them should remain unopened until 1 January 1920.
- The journal was published on microfilm by World Microfilm Publications in 1973.
- Sir Frederic Madden at Cambridge : extracts from Madden's diaries 1831, 1838, 1841-2, 1846, 1859 and 1863, ed. T.D. Rogers (Cambridge : Cambridge Bibliographical Society, 1980).
- Robert William Ackerman, Sir Frederic Madden : a biographical sketch and bibliography (New York : Garland Pub, 1979).
- Journal of Sir Frederic Madden
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description