Skip to main content

Oxford Architectural and Historical Society Notes

 Collection

  • How to
    request
Notes by Rev. F.H. Woods of the Rectory, Bainton, Driffield, and by others, of restorations of churches in the neighbourhood of Oxford, as part of an enquiry carried out by a committee of the Oxford Architectural and Historical Society, appointed in 1870. The notes are made in exercise books and on the margins of Parker's Guide to the Architectural Antiquities in the Neighbourhood of Oxford, and are arranged under Deaneries.

Dates

  • 1882

Extent

4 shelfmarks

Language of Materials

English

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Top. Oxon. d. 90].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Full range of shelfmarks:

MSS. Top. Oxon. d. 90-93

Collection ID (for staff)

CMD ID 10138

Biographical / Historical

The Society was founded in 1839 as The Society for Promoting the Study of Gothic Architecture. It was renamed The Oxford Architectural Society in 1848 and was refounded as the Oxford Architectural and Historical Society in 1860. In 1972 the Society was renamed the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society (OAHS) when it merged with The Oxfordshire Archaeological Society.

Other Finding Aids

Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, nos. 35404-7.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The collection was presented to the Library by Rev. F.H. Woods in 1911.

Related Materials

See also:
  1. Papers deposited by the Oxford Architectural and Historical Society, (Shelfmarks: Dep. b. 137-139, c. 273-277, d. 219-226, e. 65)
  2. Records of the Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society, (Shelfmarks: Dep. c. 586-594, c. 600, d. 510-556, d. 558-560, e. 263-268, f. 59-64)
  3. Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society Hon. Treasurer's Papers, (Shelfmarks: Dep. c. 678-681)
Title
Oxford Architectural and Historical Society Notes
Status
Completed
Author
Emily Tarrant
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom