Manuscripts of John Aubrey, including:
- Papers relating to English antiquities, including 'The Naturall Historie of Wiltshire, 1685'
- Copy of Aubrey's 'Brief Lives'
- Letters to John Aubrey, 1644-1695
- Creation: 15th-18th century
2.64 Linear metres (24 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Aubrey 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Aubrey 1-4, 4*, 13, 16-17, 19-21, 23-26, 31
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12745
Biographical / Historical
John Aubrey (1626-1697) was an antiquary. He matriculated at Trinity College, Oxford, 1642, and was a Student at the Middle Temple, London, 1646. He brought to light megalithic remains at Avebury in 1649. He formed large topographical collections in Wiltshire and Surrey, and left in manuscript much antiquarian and historical material. Further details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 6543-6546, 7542, 8073, 8312 and vol. V, nos. 25278-25293.
The manuscripts were presented to the Ashmolean Museum by John Aubrey at various dates. The four MSS. at 6543-6546 were presented in 1688.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The manuscripts were transferred to the Library from the Ashmolean in 1860.
The following item does not appear to have been shelfmarked or retained by the Library:
- 6547: 'Hortus siccus, sive collectio plantarum ab ipso Edvardo Morgano facta ordine alphabetico, bis mille circiter Plantarum species exhibens; Vol. tribus, fol.' This collection, given to the Ashmolean by Edward Morgan, is probably identical with MS. Ashmole 1502
- An account of the manuscripts and their donor is in John Britton, Memoir of John Aubrey (London, 1845).
- Aubrey Manuscripts
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- EAD version 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description