Copies of Elizabethan pieces
Copies of Elizabethan pieces, etc., by the following authors (see p. 378):
Archbp. Toby Matthew:
- Latin speech in Convocation, Jan. 25, 1580, p. 1;
- Latin petition about archbp. Grindal, Feb. 1580/1;
- five English sermons, 1576-81, pp. 48, 66, 149, 179, 354: Latin sermon, Oct. 9, 1581, p. 76;
- Latin daily prayers for Christ Church men at Wallingford, Aug. 15, 1577, p. 105.
Sir Thomas Smith:
- two Latin speeches as regius prof. of Civil Law at Cambridge, abt. 1540, p. 8;
- Latin reply to Antonius Corranus, Dec. 27, 1575, p. 69;
- English letter to the queen about Calais, May 3, 1567, p. 107;
- instructions for him from the queen about regaining Calais, March 22, 1566/7, p. 259.
Thomas Thornton: Latin letter about dr. W. James, July 1575, p. 75;
Matthew Gwynne: Latin oration about Music, Oct. 15, 1582, p. 129;
Bp. John White: English funeral sermon on qu. Mary, Dec. 13, 1558, p. 240;
Sir Thomas More: Latin letter to the University of Oxford about the study of Greek, March 29, 1518, p. 292;
Gregory Martin of Rheims: English letter to dr. White, warden of New college, Oxford, on theological subjects, Oct. 15, 1575, p. 316;
Ubertus Folieta: 'De causis magnitudinis Turcarum imperii', p. 333;
Bp. James Pilkington: English letter about vestments, Oct. 25, 1564, p. 349;
Richard Eedes: 'Epilogus Cæsaris interfecti, quomodo in scenam prodiit ea res acta in ecclesia Christi Oxon... 1582', p. 359;
Latin letter from pope Alexander iii to bp. Foliot about archbp. Becket, Aug. 22, 1166, with Foliot's reply, p. 369.
Also the following pieces:
- two petitions from Christ Church, Oxford, about dr. William James, July, 1575, pp. 71, 73;
- 'The maner of the Erle of Essex death ... the xiiijth daie of September ... 1576 ...' (beg. 'Walter the noble earl '), p. 138;
- 'A collection of certein reazons ...' about Calais, Apr. 3, 1567, p. 266;
- the will of William of Wykeham, July 24, 1403, in Latin, p. 302;
- notes of a conference held on May 1, 1561, by the queen's command about admitting the pope's nuncio into England, p. 360.
- Creation: written in the second half of the 16th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon e. 5, pp. 1-2]
MS. Top. Oxon e. 5
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18667
Copies of Elizabethan pieces, written in the second half of the 16th century.
Biographical / Historical
Tobie Matthew (1544?–1628) was archbishop of York.
Sir Thomas Smith (1513–1577) was a scholar, diplomat, and political theorist.
Thomas Thornton (c.1541–1629) was an Church of England clergyman and academic administrator.
John White (1509/10–1560) was bishop of Winchester.
Sir Thomas More (1478–1535) was lord chancellor, a humanist, and martyr.
Gregory Martin (1542?–1582) was a Roman Catholic priest and biblical translator.
Uberto Foglietta (1518-1581) was a historian and writer.
James Pilkington (1520–1576) was bishop of Durham.
Richard Eedes (1555–1604) was Dean of Worcester, and a translator.
Pope Alexander III (c.1100–1181).
Gilbert Foliot (c.1110–1187) was Bishop of Hereford and then Bishop of London.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 28841.
'Sum liber Roberti Dowi ex Collegio omnium Animarum' (B. A. 1574); 'Peter Thompson of Bermondsey, Surrey', 18th century; one early mark of ownership has been erased.
In one of T. Rodd's Catalogues no. cx.
There is also the 19th century armorial bookplate of John Trotter Brockett, F.S.A.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought from dr. II. Wellesley on Feb. 15, 1862 (with ten printed pamphlets), for £7.
On paper; binding, purple calf with gold line ornament, by Charles Lewis (d. 1836)
8 5/8 × 7 in.
- Matthew | Tobie | ? 1544-1628 | archbishop of York (Person)
- Smith | Sir | Thomas | 1513-1577 | scholar, diplomat, and political theorist (Person)
- Thornton | Thomas | c.1541-1629 | Church of England clergyman and academic administrator. (Person)
- White | John | 1509/10-1560 | bishop of Winchester (Person)
- More | Sir | Thomas | 1478-1535 | Saint | lord chancellor, humanist, and martyr (Person)
- Martin | Gregory | ? 1542-1582 | Roman Catholic priest and biblical translator (Person)
- Foglietta | Uberto | 1518-1581 | historian and writer (Person)
- Pilkington | James | 1520-1576 | bishop of Durham (Person)
- Eedes | Richard | 1555-1604 | Dean of Worcester and translator (Person)
- Alexander III | c.1100-1181 | Pope (Person)
- Foliot | Gilbert | c.1110-1187 | Benedictine monk and bishop of London (Person)
- Copies of Elizabethan pieces
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description