Theological papers by Pierre François le Courayer
Theological papers by Pierre Franҫois le Courayer (d. 1776), of which the chief are:
(fol. 4). A draft of the preface and notes to Courayer's translation into French of Sleidan's Works, which were printed in 1767.
(fol. 134). A hasty copy by 'M' of an original letter of Sleidan to Francis I, king of France, dated March 12, 1546.
(fol. 135). Parts of Courayer's Traité ou l'on expose ce que L'Ecriture nous apprend de la Divinité de J[ésus] C[hrist]', followed (fol. 252) by theological notes on other subjects, among which are:
- (fols. 269, 271) drafts of two letters from Courayer to bp. Robert Clayton (abt. 1750-1760);
- (fol. 274) a certificate from prof. Mordret, given in 1706, that Courayer attended his lectures at Beauvais in 1695-1697;
- (fol. 277) a 'Chanson sur l'acceptation [de la bulle Unigenitus] du Cardnal de Noailles' by mesdames de Chelles et de S. Antoine, 1728?;
- Creation: written in the 18th century chiefly by P. F. le Courayer
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Add. A. 39, fols. 1-2]
MS. Add. A. 39
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18510
Theological papers by Pierre François le Courayer, written in the 18th century chiefly by P. F. le Courayer.
Biographical / Historical
Pierre-François Le Courayer (1681-1776) was a librarian and theological writer.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27977.
'For Mrs Russel with Mr Burges's Compliments' (fol. 3v).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed (?) by the rev. Bertrand Russel, fellow of Trinity college, Cambridge, through the rev. Richard Ward, whose letter (at fol. 1) is dated July 6, 1798: but the papers seem to have been received in 1799, and not to have been bound or referenced till many years later.
8 3/4 × 7 7/8 in.
- Theological papers by Pierre François le Courayer
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description