The Causes of the Decay of Christian piety
'The Causes of the Decay of Christian piety [originally, "Duty lost in disobedience"] or An impartial suruey of the ruines of Christian religion, undermin'd by vnchristian practice . [then "A practicall Treatise written," erased: then] written by the Author of The whole duty of Man.'
The correcting hand added:
- 'Imprimatur . Intratum per Geo. Tokefeilde Clericum . London printed for T. Garthwait in S. Bartholomews Hospitall near Smithfield . 1667';
- on fol. 1, an Imprimatur from Tho. Tomkyns, domestic chaplain to the archbp. of Canterbury;
- on fol. 3, the leaf following the title, a preface 'to Mr. Garthwait' (beg. 'Having in my hands') signed 'Jan. 1667' by 'H. E.', a former signature being erased.
On fol. 4 is a note from Richard Royston 'Mr. Tokefielde I desire you to enter this booke to mr. Garthwait in the regester . 22 March 1666.' The rest is as the printed edition of 1667, for which this volume was the 'copy.'
The 'Priuate Deuotions' are added at the end, on different-sized paper.
A note of the time on fol. i states that 'The Dean of Xt. Ch. (Dr. H. Aldrich) is of opinion that this Book is not in the Author's own hand, but copyed by Bp. Fell with a disguis'd hand.' The corrections throughout and perhaps the whole volume are in bp. Fell's hand. Mr. C. E. Doble in the Academy for Nov. 11, 18 and 25, 1882, gives good reasons for regarding dr. Richard Allestree as the author and bp. Fell as the editor of the works of the Author of the Whole Duty of Man.
- Creation: written shortly before 1667
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Bodl. 21, fols. 1-2].
MS. Bodl. 21
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18416
'The Causes of the Decay of Christian piety or An impartial suruey of the ruines of Christian religion, undermin'd by vnchristian practice, written by the Author of The whole duty of Man', written shortly before 1667.
Biographical / Historical
Richard Allestree (1621/2–1681) was a Church of England clergyman.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27608.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
'Given by Mr. [Samuel] Keble, a Bookseller in London, near Temple Bar', no doubt in 1706, see reference to Hearne below.
- See also Hearne's Diary (ed. Doble) i. 281-2 (1706), (ed. Bliss) 2nd ed. iii. 63 (1730).
8 × 6 3/8 in.
- Allestree | Richard | 1621/2-1681 | Church of England clergyman (Person)
- Garthwait | Timothy | fl. 1657-1666 | printer and publisher (Person)
- Tomkyns | Thomas | fl. 1667 | domestic chaplain to the archbishop of Canterbury (Person)
- Royston | Richard | 1601-1686 | bookseller and publisher (Person)
- Fell | John | 1625-1686 | Bishop of Oxford (Person)
- The Causes of the Decay of Christian piety
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description