Guard-book of letters
MS. Autogr. b. 7
Guard-book of letters, including:
- (fol. 12) warrant of the Privy Council to the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire, 1690
- (fols. 40-50) lease, signed and sealed by Gustavus Adolphus II, of land in Ingria to Bugislaf Rose, 1617, with related accounts, 1618-23
- (fols. 54-5) power of attorney and acknowledgement of receipt of a debt signed by William Backhouse, witnessed by Elias Ashmole, 1656
- (fols. 61-2) verses, 'A holiday trip to the Highlands by Rail' by J.S. Blackie, n.d.
- (fols. 78-9) warrant for payment of Thomas Bates, one of His Majesty's Musicians, signed by Thomas Osborne, Earl of Danby, 1677.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Autogr. b. 7, fols 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Autogr. b. 7
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16198
Guard-book of letters, 16th-19th century
Biographical / Historical
The Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire, 1689-1701, was John Egerton. He served as the monarch's local representative in Buckingham. Gustavus Adolphus II was king of Sweden, 1611-1632. William Backhouse was an English philosopher in the 16th and 17th centuries. Elias Ashmole was an atrologer and antiquarian in the 17th century.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991). Vol. 1, no. 37787.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- 16th century
- 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
- Ashmole | Elias | 1617-1692 | Antiquary and Astrologer
- Backhouse | William | 1593-1662 | alchemist and antiquary
- Bates | Thomas | fl. 1677 | musician
- Blackie | John Stuart | 1809-1895 | classical and Scottish Gaelic scholar
- Egerton | John | 1646–1701 | third earl of Bridgewater | politician and government official
- Gustavus Adolphus II | 1594-1632 | King of Sweden
- Osborne | Thomas |1632-1712 | first Duke of Leeds | politician
- Guard-book of letters, 16th-19th century
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description