Guard-book of sermons and other theological writings
Guard-book of sermons and other theological writings, including:
- (fols. 28-36) sermon of W. B. Carpenter, Bishop of Ripon, 1916
- (fol. 38) one leaf from a 14th-century. copy of the Wycliffite 'Pore Catif'
- (fols. 78-104) notes by John Keble on Gilbert Elliot, Sermons on some of the subjects of the day (London, 1850)
- (fols. 107-20) sermon attributed to Jonathan Swift, 18th century
- (fols. 152-3) secretary's copy, 1572, with corrections by Alexander Nowell, of the epistle prefaced to his 'Middle Catechism'
- (fols. 154-79) sermons by Philip Henry, 1656,1658
- Creation: 14th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. th. c. 50, fols. 1-2].
MS. Eng. th. c. 50
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8305
Guard-book of sermons and other theological writings, 14th-20th century.
Biographical / Historical
William Boyd Carpenter (1841–1918) was the bishop of Ripon.
John Keble (1792–1866)was a Church of England clergyman and poet.
Jonathan Swift (1667–1745) was a writer and dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin.
Alexander Nowell (c. 1516/17–1602) was the dean of St Paul's.
Philip Henry (1631–1696) was a British clergyman and ejected minister
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991). Vol. 2, no. 46593.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Carpenter | William Boyd | 1841-1918 | bishop of Ripon (Person)
- Keble | John | 1792-1866 | Vicar of Hursley and Tractarian poet (Person)
- Swift | Jonathan | 1667-1745 | Dean of St Patrick's Dublin, satirist (Person)
- Nowell | Alexander | c.1516/7-1602 | dean of St Paul's (Person)
- Henry | Philip | 1631-1696 | Nonconformist Minister and Diarist (Person)
- Elliot | Gilbert | 1800-1891 | Dean of Bristol (Person)
- Guard-book of sermons and other theological writings, 14th-20th century
- EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description