Letters to Professor James Sutherland
MS. Eng. c. 8375
A collection of letters from various correspondents addressed to Professor James Sutherland, 1932-1974, comprising:
- fols. 1-9 Edmund Blunden, 1943-1946
- fols. 10-26 A.E. Coppard (signing himself ‘Flynn’), 1932-1956
- fols. 27-28 Graham Greene, 1974
- fols. 29-30 C.S. Lewis, 1944, 1945
- fols. 31-32 Edward Marsh, 1943
- fol. 33 an empty envelope franked 11 July 1951, annotated by Sutherland ‘RES [ Review of English Studies] / Rupert Brooke article / Letter from Edward Marsh’
- fols. 34-35 Herbert Read, 1949
- fol. 36 Angela Thirkell, 1955
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 8375, fol. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Eng. c. 8375
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 11939
Letters to Professor James Sutherland.
Biographical / Historical
Sir James (Runcieman) Sutherland (1900-1996) was a professor of English Literature. See Who Was Who for details.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Mallam’s, The Library Sale, 23 March 2016, lots 670-4.
- 20th century
- Blunden | Edmund Charles | 1896-1974 | poet
- Coppard | Alfred Edgar | 1878-1957 | writer
- English literature -- 20th century
- Greene | Henry Graham | 1904-1991 | novelist
- Lewis| Clive Staples | 1898-1963 | writer
- Marsh | Sir | Edward Howard | 1872-1953 | Knight | civil servant and patron of the arts
- Read | Sir | Herbert Edward | 1893-1968 | Knight | poet, literary critic and writer on art
- Sutherland | Sir | James Runcieman | 1900-1996 | Knight | professor of Modern English Literature
- Thirkell | Angela Margaret | nee Mackail | 1890-1961 | novelist
- Catalogue of Letters to Professor James Sutherland
- Finding aid prepared by Judith Priestman
- Language of description
- Script of description