Topographical collections, correspondence and papers of Sir Thomas Phillipps
Phillipps's papers consist of:
- Topographical manuscripts relating to more than one county, including drawings, rubbings, lists, indexes and transcripts of various records, indexes, lists, abstracts and copies of wills and pedigrees; manuscripts relating to individual counties arranged alphabetically Bedfordshire - Yorkshire
- Phillipps family correspondence and papers, including estate papers and papers relating to Phillipps's collections
- 16th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
English, Latin, Old French, French, Ancient Greek, German and Spanish
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Phillipps-Robinson a. 1-48, b. 1-218, c. 1-726, d. 1-326, e. 1-509, f. 1-83, g. 1-6; Rubbings Phillipps-Robinson 1-933
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16120
Biographical / Historical
Sir Thomas Phillipps, Bart. (1792-1872) was a collector of manuscripts and printed books. The late A.N.L. Munby, whose Phillipps studies (5 vols., Cambridge, 1951-60) describes Phillipps's life and the acquisition and dispersal of his manuscripts, called his library 'the greatest collection of manuscripts ever put together by one man'. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography. Dispersal of Phillipps's extensive collection began soon after his death. Lionel and Philip Robinson acquired the undispersed part of the collection in 1946, and gave the topographical collections, together with Phillipps's personal papers, to the Library in 1958.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975.. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, nos. 49912-51833.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was given to the Library by Lionel and Philip Robinson in 1958.
Existence and Location of Copies
For conservation reasons, microfilms of the majority of Phillipps's correspondence are to be consulted in place of the original papers.
- Book collectors
- Fenwick family
- Fosbroke | Thomas Dudley | 1770-1842 | Antiquary
- Gloucestershire (England)
- Great Britain | Topography
- Northamptonshire (England)
- Phillipps family | baronets | Middle Hill
- Phillipps | Sir | Thomas | 1792-1872 | Baronet | Antiquary, and Collector of MSS and Books
- Wiltshire (England)
- Worcestershire (England)
- Topographical collections, correspondence and papers of Sir Thomas Phillipps
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description