Tanner's collections contain much on the 17th-century Church, including correspondence of successive Archbishops of Canterbury, Gilbert Sheldon, 1663-77, and William Sancroft, 1677-90; and many papers relating to the Civil War and Interregnum, mainly correspondence of William Lenthall, Speaker of the House of Commons 1640-60. Sancroft's 'Adversaria', comprise mainly theological writings by Archbishop Sancroft.
- 10th-18th century
Language of Materials
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
Also includes some Anglo-Norman.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Sancroft 1-145; Tanner 1-10, 10*, 11-56, 57a-b, 58a-b, 59a-b, 60a-b, 61, 62a-b, 63-72, 73a-b, 74-169, 169*, 170-225, 225*, 226-74, 275a-b, 276-454, 455a-b, 456a-b, 457-63, 464a-e, 465-9, 469*, 470-3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16114
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Tanner was born in 1674, and matriculated at Queen's College, Oxford, 17 December 1689. In 1697 he became Fellow of All Souls. He was Prebendary of Ely, 1713-23, Archdeacon of Norfolk in 1721, and Canon of Christ Church from 3 February 1724. On 23 January 1732 he was made Bishop of St. Asaph. He died in Oxford, 14 December 1735. Further details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
For reference to detailed published catalogues of the Tanner and Sancroft MSS., see below under each component.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
By his will Tanner's manuscripts passed to the Library, and were received about three months after his death.
- Allin | Sir | Thomas | 1612-1685 | Knight | Admiral
- Aquinas | Thomas | ? 1225-1274 | Saint
- Church of England | Diocese of Canterbury
- Church of England | Diocese of Norwich
- Great Britain -- Church History -- 17th century
- Great Britain -- History -- Civil War, 1642-1649
- Great Britain -- History -- Commonwealth and Protectorate, 1649-1660
- Lenthall | Sir | William | 1591-1662 | Knight | Speaker of the House of Commons, Master of the Rolls
- Norfolk (England)
- Sancroft | William | 1617-1693 | Archbishop of Canterbury
- Suffolk (England)
- Tanner | Thomas | 1674-1735 | Bishop of St Asaph and antiquary
- University of Cambridge
- Tanner Manuscripts
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description
- Script of description