Archive of the Benson Family
The collection comprises principally the literary papers of A.C. and E.F. Benson, with correspondence and papers of members of the family.
- 18th-20th century
33.99 Linear metres (309 Shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Benson 1/1, or MS. Benson 3/6/5, or MS. Benson adds. 5, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Benson 1/1-3/78; Benson adds. 1-22
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7103
Papers of Arthur Christopher Benson, writer (1862-1925), Edward Frederic Benson, writer (1867-1940), Edward White Benson, Archbishop of Canterbury (1829-1896), Robert Hugh Benson, Roman Catholic Writer and Apologist (1871-1914), Margaret Benson, Egyptologist and religious philosopher (1865-1916).
Biographical / Historical
Arthur Christopher Benson, writer (1862-1925), Edward Frederic Benson, writer (1867-1940), Edward White Benson, Archbishop of Canterbury (1829-1896), Robert Hugh Benson, Roman Catholic Writer and Apologist (1871-1914) - see Dictionary of National Biography for further details of all four of them; Margaret Benson, Egyptologist and religious philosopher (1865-1916) see Who Was Who for further details; and other members of the Benson family.
In two sequences: MSS. Benson and MSS. Benson adds. Papers within each section are arranged by name, A.C. Benson, R.H. Benson, and so on.
MSS. Benson, formerly Dep. Benson, were deposited by K.S.P. McDowall in 1949; MSS. Benson adds., were formerly owned by Mrs. Alice Russell.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Benson Arthur Christopher | 1862-1925 | Writer
- Benson family
- Benson | Edward Frederic | 1867-1940 | Author
- Benson | Edward White | 1829-1896 | Archbishop of Canterbury
- Benson | Margaret | 1865-1916 | Egyptologist and religious philosopher
- Benson | Robert Hugh | 1871-1914 | Roman Catholic writer and apologist
- English literature -- 19th century
- English literature -- 20th century
- Catalogue of the archive of the Benson family, 18th-20th cent.
- Finding aid prepared by Catalogued in EAD by Sam Hyde, 2005. Recatalogued and revised by Gillian Grant., 2007
- Language of description
- Script of description
- This catalogue was funded by a generous donation from the Tilling Society.