Additional papers of Sir Cecil Clementi
The papers comprise official and personal papers of Sir Cecil Clementi (65 boxes) with papers of his wife, Lady Penelope Clementi (22 boxes), and other family members (18 boxes). There is also a small amount of family history research material which was probably collected between 2008 and 2013 (2 boxes).
These papers compliment those donated to the Library by Alwin Ovenell between 1987 and 1997 (catalogued in 1997 under the shelfmark MSS. Ind. Ocn. s. 352).
- Creation: 1871-2013
17.0 Linear metres (107 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- Pushto; Pashto
Mainly in English but also includes Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Pashto and Turkish.
Conditions Governing Access
Some material is closed.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. Oxford, Bodleian Libraries MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 600 / 1, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 600 /1-107
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9456
Official and personal papers of Sir Cecil Clementi (1875-1947), colonial governor, with papers of his wife, Lady Penelope Clementi (1889–1970) and other family members.
Biographical / Historical
Sir Cecil Clementi (1875-1947), colonial governor, was born in India, the son of Colonel Montagu Clementi (1839-1919) and Isabel Collard (1850-1930). He began his career as a cadet in the Hong Kong Civil Service and remained in Hong Kong for the next twelve years (with the exception of two secondments in 1902 and 1903).
There followed appointments as Colonial Secretary of British Guiana, 1913-1922 (administered the government 1916-1917, 1919 and 1921); Colonial Seceretary of Ceylon, 1922-1925 (administered the government 1922-1923 and 1925); Governor of Hong Kong, 1925-1930, and Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner for Malaya, 1930-1934. He retired in 1934.
Clementi was awarded a GCMG (1931) and was a Knight of Grace of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem (1926). His publications include Summary of Geographical Observations taken during a Journey from Kashgar to Kowloon (1907-1908) (Hong Kong: 1911), Pervigilium Veneris: The Vigil of Venus (Oxford: 1911), The Chinese in British Guiana (British Guiana: 1915) and A Constitutional History of British Guiana (London: 1937).
In 1912 he married Marie Penelope Rose Eyres (1889-1970), the daughter of Admiral C.J. Eyres (1862-1949) and Rose Townsend (1863-1940). They had four children, Dione, Cecily, Cresswell and Alwin.
Note: Biographical history written with reference to Clementi's entries in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and Who's Who.
Official and general correspondence is arranged chronologically and family correspondence is arranged alphabetically. Single letters only unless otherwise stated.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed to the Bodleian Library by Alwin Ovenell (née Clementi) and received in 2013.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- 21st century
- Colonial administrators
- Guyana -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Hong Kong (China) -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Malaya -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Sri Lanka -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Straits Settlements -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Carrington | Mary Townsend | 1892-1980 | nee Eyres (Person)
- Clementi | Augusta Mildred Warren | 1878-1969 | nee Graham (Person)
- Clementi | Cecily Joyce | b 1915 (Person)
- Clementi | Cresswell Montagu | 1918-1981 | Air Vice-Marshal (Person)
- Clementi | Dione Rose | 1914-2010 | lecturer in history (Person)
- Clementi | Isabel | 1850–1930 | nee Collard (Person)
- Clementi | Lockhart | 1881-after 1917 | Captain (Person)
- Clementi | Marie Penelope Rose | 1889–1970 | nee Eyres | known as Penelope Clementi (Person)
- Clementi | Montagu | 1839-1919 | Colonel, Judge Advocate-General in India (Person)
- Clementi | Sir | Cecil | 1875-1947 | Knight | colonial governor (Person)
- Clementi | Winifred Dorothy | d 1966 | nee Hobson | known as Dorothy Clementi (Person)
- Eyres | Cresswell John | 1862-1949 | Admiral (Person)
- Eyres | Rose Nankivell | 1863-1940 | nee Townsend (Person)
- Great Britain | Colonial Administrative Service (Organisation)
- Merris | John | 1877-1942 | formerly Clementi | Colonel (Person)
- Ovenell | Alwin Isabel | 1923-2010 | nee Clementi (Person)
- Warner | Dorothy Cresswell Lee- | 1897-1928 | nee Eyres (Person)
- Catalogue of the additional papers of Sir Cecil Clementi
- Finding aid prepared by Marion Lowman
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Catalogued with the support of a legacy generously bequeathed by the late Alwin Ovenell, daughter of Sir Cecil Clementi