Microfilms of Medieval Manuscripts concerning Saints' Lives, Sermons and the Construction of Westminster Abbey
Microfilms of manuscripts containing:
- a collection of metrical saints' lives in Anglo-Norman, early 14th century
- Sulcard, De prima constructione ecclesiae Westmonasterii etc. , 2nd half of the 13th century, from Westminster Abbey
- Osbert of Clare, Miracula S. Edmundi, early 13th century, from Bury St. Edmunds
- sermons by various authors, including Aeldred of Rievaulx, but mostly anon., English, last quarter of the 12th century. Given to the Abbey of Cluny by its English abbot, Hugh V (1199-1207) from Reading.
- 20th cent. (originals 12th-14th cent.)
Language of Materials
- English, Middle (1100-1500)
- French, Old (842-ca.1400)
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Film 2059].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Film 2059-2061
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13481
Biographical / Historical
Microfilms of medieval manuscripts concerning saints' lives, sermons and the construction of Westminster Abbey, 12th-14th century.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 2001.
Existence and Location of Copies
The originals are located as follows:
- MS. Film 2059 - London, British Library, Add. MS. 70513
- MS. Film 2060 - London, British Library, Cotton MS. Titus A. VIII.
- MS. Film 2061 - Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale de France, nouv. acq. lat. 294.
- Microfilms of Medieval Manuscripts concerning Saints' Lives, Sermons and the Construction of Westminster Abbey
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description
- Script of description