Sermons composed or used by members of the Allen family
Sermons composed or used by members of the Allen family, all with numerous dates and places of preaching, 1690-1819, many preached at Rochester, 1760s – 1790s, including sermons by:
- (fols. 1-26) An unidentified Yorkshire clergyman, 1690-1704, including (fols. 19-26) a sermon preached at Beverley Minister in thanksgiving for the victory at Blenheim, 1704.
- (fols. 27-119) Timothy Allen, vicar of Betchworth, Surrey, 1728-1744, n.d.
- (fols. 120-163) John Allen, vice-principal of Magdalen Hall, Oxford,1759-1779, several preached before the university (one, fols. 142-154, a printed sermon, 1769).
- (fols. 164-196) Three sermons by unidentified clergyman, two preached before the university of Oxford, 1778, 1780, one preached ‘In the Mediterranean’, 1807.
- Creation: 1690-1819
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. th. d. 77, fols. 1-2].
MS. Eng. th. d. 77
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 21293
Sermons composed or used by members of the Allen family.
Biographical / Historical
No biographical information is known.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given, with MS. Eng. misc. c. 882, fols. 169-184 (an account of the Allen family, 19th century), and MS. Photogr. c. 4, fols. 72-73, by Arthur Whittaker, 1983.
In 18 sewn sections
- Sermons composed or used by members of the Allen family
- EAD version 2021 by Hannah Jordan
- EAD version 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description