'Journal', 1826-7, journeys from el-Qahireh [Cairo] to Suez, in the Eastern Desert, and in Upper Egypt, including occasional ink and pencil sketches, surveying calculations, diagrams and drawings, site plans, copies of hieroglyphic, Greek and Arabic inscriptions, and ink sketches of Egyptian tomb paintings, with:
- (pp. 25-7) humorous verse dialogue between two Copts
- (p. 29) dried plant
- (pp. 81-5) list of names of Egyptian deities in hieroglyphics, with English and Greek equivalents
- (pp. 124-5, 129) lists of Egyptian plants
- (p. 131-3) list of Egyptian birds and animals
- (pp. 166-7) sextant readings(?), Jan. 1827-Mar. 1828, Oct.-Dec. 1828.
- Creation: 1826-7
Language of Materials
MS. Wilkinson dep. c. 6
'Eastern Desert to Thebes 1826' (W); C 8b (interim.)
For loose papers found in this volume, see MSS. Wilkinson dep. c. 11, fols. 11-17; c. 22, fols. 1-13, 276-9, and c. 28, fol. 16.
Binding: half brown calf.