Contents of folders so inscribed, comprising correspondence, notes and drafts.
This was a major topic on which Peierls thought, wrote and lectured widely. It was also the subject of extensive correspondence conducted in some cases over several years. Peierls kept exchanges with his principal correspondents stapled or clipped together in individual bundles which may include related letters or material from others; these have been retained in his order.
Peierls's own notes and drafts are presented separately at MS. 11619/21/B.37-39.
Peierls's principal publications on the topic, some collaborative, are:
- With M.G. Burt, 'The momentum of light in a refracting medium', Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 333 (1973)
- 'The momentum of light in a refractive medium', Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 347 (1976)
- 'Momentum of light in a refracting medium. II Generalization. Application to oblique reflection', Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 355 (1977)
- 'The momentum of a sound pulse in a slightly dispersive medium', Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 390 (1983)
- 'Momentum and pseudomomentum of light and sound. Highlights of condensed-matter theory', ed. M. Tosi, Soc. Italiana di Fisica 1985
- 'Momentum of light and light pressure in a dispersive medium' in Interaction of radiation with matter (Gozzini Symposium) Pisa, 1988
- Creation: 1968-1989
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
Full range of shelfmarks: