Miscellaneous papers, 1833-69
Folder 1 Sir John Bowring to Clarendon, 1855-9 (and one in 1869), mostly written from the Far East
Folder 2 miscellaneous Crimean papers as follows (each document listed):
- 23 Sept. 1853, King Leopold to Clarendon (international situation)
- 14 July 1858, Lord Elgin to Clarendon from Shanghai
- Mar. 1856, Count Czartorisky to Clarendon (Polish contingent of Turkish army). (This is endorsed March/56 (by the F.O.); it is undated by the author, but refers to a letter dated 7 Avril).
- 15 Sept. 1856, Cabinet, Wilson to Clarendon
- 10 Mar. 1856, Cabinet, Wood to Clarendon
- 21 Jan. 1856, Lord Howard (Brussels) to Clarendon
- 14 July 1855, Buchanan (Copenhagen) to Clarendon
- 12 Jan. 1854, Seymour (St. Petersburg) to Clarendon
- 3 Apr. and 7 Apr. 1856, Stratford (Constantinople) to Clarendon
Folder 3 Miscellaneous papers as follows:
- 8 Nov. 1858, Malmesbury to Clarendon
- Panmure to Clarendon, n.d.
- 31 May 1865, Sir G. Grey to Clarendon
- 24 Nov. 1860, memorandum of a conversation with Napoleon III on 23 Nov. 1860
- 22 May 1858, Lord Elgin to Clarendon
- Copy of Treasury Minute, 10 Dec. 1850
- 1858, pamphlet Lettre au Parlement et à la Presse
- Address by Mr. Frederick Enerman to Lord Granville (seeking employment)
- 'Extract from 2 letters to Earl Grey (from ?) - concerning reform bill.'
- Oct. 1860, memorandum on proceedings at Brussels
- 25 July 1860, copy of letter, Napoleon III to Persigny
- Alphabetical list of livings in gift of Queen (Duchy of Lancaster)
- Note of salaries paid to Ministers at Madrid, Lisbon, Athens, Copenhagen, and Buenos Aires, and of the house rents payable there
- 14 Aug. 1865, William Cowper to Clarendon
- Copy. 12 Nov. 1846, Clarendon to Bulwer
- 14 Oct. 1846, Bressou (Madrid) to Clarendon?
- 13 Oct. 1846, Dalmatie (Berlin) to Clarendon?
- 13 June 1840, James White to Clarendon
- 30 Dec. 1833, ? to Palmerston (concerning 'brutal autocrat of Russia')
- June 1859, papers concerning the Euphrates Valley Rly. Co.
- Note on Guizot's speech in Chamber on 5 Feb.? Sp. marriages
- Memorandum on School Books (at public expense) with a Catholic bias (Ireland)
Folder 4 Miscellaneous papers as follows:
- 12 Feb. 1859, M.A. Biddulph (Telegraph Engineer, Constantinople) to Clarendon
- 10 Jan. 1853, Sir Wm. Somerville to Clarendon (more or less complaining about there being no office for him in the new administration.) (Somerville was formerly Chief Secretary in Ireland - See under Ireland.)
- Jan. 1853, three other letters to Clarendon from his former 'Irish' friends
- Aug. 1863. Series of official despatches (copies) to Lord Russell, endorsed in pencil 'for Ld. Clarendon' [All relate to the Frankfurt Congress to which Clarendon was being despatched]: 15 Aug. 1863, from Sir Henry Howard (Hanover); 15 Aug. 1863, from Mr. Lowther (Berlin) (No.56); 15 Aug. 1863, from Mr. Lowther (Berlin) (No.59); 15 Aug. 1863, from Lord Cowley (Paris); and 13 Aug. 1863, from Lord Bloomfield (Vienna).
- 15 Sept. 1846, Clarendon to Olazaga (copy), the situation in Spain
- 5 Nov. 1846, Clarendon to M. Neou (?) (copy), Spanish commercial and financial position
- 7 Dec. 1856, Sir James Hudson (Turin) to Clarendon.
- 6 Jan. 1856, Sir James Hudson (Turin) to Clarendon.
- 6 Jan. 1856 (copy-extract), Count Cavour to Sir James Hudson
Folder 5 Private Estate Affairs 1838-1839-1841 (Westmorland to 1850)
- Creation: 1833-69
Language of Materials
MS. Clar. dep. c. 559