Papers of George William Frederick Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon, with papers of related families
Comprises: Papers of George William Frederick Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon of the second creation; Correspondence and papers of Thomas Villiers, 1st Earl of Clarendon of the second creation, 1738-86; The Barham Papers, 17th-19th cent.; Docket Books of Thomas Kipps, Pursebearer to Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, as Lord Chancellor, 1640-67; Collections of William Shaw of St. John's College, Cambridge, with additions (in MSS. Clar. dep. c. 415-17) by 'H.S.', 18th cent.; Heraldic collections in the hand of 'H.S.' (see c. 420, p. 20), 18th cent.; and Literary pieces, 18th cent.
- Creation: 1820-70, 17th-19th cent.
80.55 Linear metres (537 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
These papers (of part of which there is a brief description in The Times of Jan. 21, 1950) were deposited in the Bodleian Library in 1949, on condition that no extracts from them shall be printed without the depositer's or his heirs' written consent (readers will be asked to sign a form acknowledging this).
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Clar. dep. c. 544, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Clar. dep. b. 33-38; c. 1-104, c. 125-149, c. 178-226, c. 246-278, c. 327-347, c. 357-426, c. 428-432, c. 441-510, c. 520-562; MSS. Clar. dep. Irish boxes 1-82, Clar. dep. Irish vols. 1-28; MS. Film 34
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7648-CMD ID 7663
Papers of George William Frederick Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon, 1820-70, with papers of related families, 17th-19th century.
Biographical / Historical
George William Frederick Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon of the second creation (1800-70) was ambassador at Madrid, 1833-9, Lord Privy Seal, 1839-41, President of the Board of Trade, 1846, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1847-52, Foreign Secretary, 1853-8, 1865-6, 1868-70 and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, 1864. For full details see Dictionary of National Biography.
Other papers in the Clarendon deposit include letter-books of Thomas Villiers, 1st Earl of Clarendon of the 2nd creation, 1738-86; papers of the Barham family, 1673-1848; docket books of Thomas Kipps, Pursebearer to Edward Hyde, 1st earl of Clarendon, as Lord Chancellor; (E) collections of William Shaw, 1714-46; and Heraldic collections, 18th cent., in the hand of 'H.S'. Biographical details are entered at the head of each section.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Barham | John Foster | 1799-1838 | Politician (Person)
- Barham | Joseph Foster | 1759-1832 | Politician (Person)
- Great Britain and Ireland | Board of Trade. (Organisation)
- Great Britain and Ireland | Foreign Office (Organisation)
- Kipps | Thomas | fl 1640-1669 | Pursebearer to 1st Earl of Clarendon (Person)
- Lord Lieutenant of Ireland | Ireland (Organisation)
- Shaw | William | 1688-1739 | Rector of Akenham and antiquary (Person)
- Villiers | George William Frederick | 1800-1870 | 4th Earl of Clarendon | statesman (Person)
- Villiers | Thomas | 1709-1786 | 1st Earl of Clarendon (Person)
- Interim catalogue of the papers of George William Frederick Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon, 1820-70, with papers of related families
- 1959, EAD version 2002
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Conversion to EAD supported by the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation