Skip to main content

Visitation of Sussex in 1633 and 1634, with the arms tricked for the most part in pencil, 17th century

MS. Rawl. B. 435
Held at the Weston Library

  • Request

An index of names is prefixed; but of some of the families entered in it the name alone is given, and of others only the arms.

It appears from an entry at fol. 22b that the MS. was written subsequently to the year 1661, and one pedigree is continued to the year 1653.

On a fly-leaf at the beginning a note in a more modern handwriting than the MS. itself, says that this visitation was "by St. George and Segar." This is doubtless an error for St. George, Clarencieux, and Borough, Norroy, who visited this county by their deputies Philipot and Owen in the years 1633–1634. The error in description of this MS. appears to arise from the circumstance that on the reverse of fol. 1. is entered a certificate of the descent and arms of Matthew Caldecote of Melbourne, Cambridgeshire, by sir R. St. George, approved by sir W. Segar.


  • Creation: 17th century


160 Leaves

Language of Materials

  • English


MS. Rawl. B. 435


  • See Noble's History of the College of Arms , appendix, p. xxxiii; and Moule's Bibliotheca Heraldica , pp. 597–598; in the latter work the visitations of the two years are entered as being distinct.

Physical Facet

On paper, in folio


Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom