Palestine and Jordan, 1923-1939
MSS. Lugard 130
- File 1, fols. 1-138: Correspondence with Chaim Weizmann, Malcolm MacDonald, Lord Passfield and Sir Drummond Shiels about Palestine, with related papers, 1929-1933.
- File 2, fols. 1-76: Memoranda by Lugard on his work for the Mandates Commission on Palestine, particularly with regard to the land-labour question on which he and Harold Grimshaw concentrated, with related papers, 1930.
- File 3, fols. 1-2 and items 1-7: Minutes of the 17th (Extraordinary) Session of the Mandates Commission called to consider the disturbances in Palestine over the Wailing Wall, with statements by the British accredited representative, with the Grand Mufti and the British Government, and with the collected observations of the Permanent Mandates Commission with regard to Palestine, 1930.
- File 4, fols. 1-5: Translation of an article by William Martin, written for the Journal de Génève, "Injustice and Imprudence", criticizing British policy and actions in Palestine and circulated to Members of Parliament by the Executive Committee of the World Union of Zionist-Revisionists, 1930.
- File 5, item 1: Memorandum on Great Britain and Palestine issued by the Information Department of the Royal Institute of International Affairs, 1931.
- File 6, fols. 1-40: Mimeographed extracts from the press circulated to members of the Permanent Mandates Commission by its secretariat, 1925-1930.
- File 7, fols. 1-8: Newspaper cuttings on labour in Palestine, the Wailing Wall incidents and the Palestine White Paper, 1929-1939.
- File 8, fols. 1-20 and items 1-4: Verbatim notes taken by a stenographer at the 2nd meeting of members of the Cabinet with Jewish Representatives held on 18 November 1930, with a covering letter from K.H.C. May, on Weizmann's behalf, with additional material sent by him to Lugard:- Item 1 - Memorandum on the Palestine White Paper by Leonard Stein. Item 2 - Cabinet Paper of the Committee on Palestine. Item 3 - First Portion of a Letter from the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs to Dr Weizmann of 29 November. Item 4 - Draft observations on the "Explanatory Statement" forming the enclosure to the Foreign Secretary's letter of 29 November 1930 to Dr Weizmann, marked "secret". Marked by Lugard "Secret (8) M 7".
- File 9, fols. 1-2: Telegram from King Hussein of Jordan to his Minister in Rome instructing him to protest to the League of Nations against the Mandate System, 1923.
Language of Materials
MSS. Lugard 130