European Democrat Brief/European Conservative Brief , 1983-1994
Issues held :-
- No. 1: The Benefits of Europe, published by Robert Jackson MEP for the European Democratic Group, 1983
- No. 1: The Benefits of Europe (second edition), Oct 1983 [was CCO 508/11/26]
- No. 2: Britain and the EEC: Why Labour is Wrong, edited by Robert Jakson MEP, 1983
- No. 3: Scotland in Europe, published by Robert Jackson MEP for the European Democrat Group, 1983.
- No. 4: Harmonization, by Basil de Ferranti MEP, 1983
- No. 5: Finishing with Frontiers, by Basil de Ferranti MEP, ND [c. 1981]
- No. 6: The European Budget, by Robert Jackson MEP and Neil Balfour MEP, 1983
- No. 7: Britain's Trade in Europe, by Michael Welsh MEP and Sir Fred Catherwood MEP, 1983
- No. 8: The Common Agricultural policy, by David Curry MEP, 1983
- No. 9: Cheaper European Air-Fares, by Nicholas Bethell MEP, 1983
- No. 10: Job-Training, by Derek Prag MEP, 1983
- No. 11: Women in Europe, by Dame Shelagh Roberts MEP, 1983
- No. 12: Your European Rights, by Peter Price MEP and Alan Tyrrell MEP, ND [c. Mar 1984?]
- No. 13: Spain, Portugal, and Europe, by Lord Douro MEP, 1984
- No. 14: Cars and the Uncommon Market, by Richard Cottrell MEP and Christopher Jackson MEP, 1984
- No. 15: Europe and Animal Welfare, by Stanley Johnson, MEP, 1984 [was CCO 508/11/39]
- No. 16: Small business in Europe, by Fred Tuckman MEP and Bill Newton-Dunn MEP, 1984
- No. 17: A Fishing Policy for Europe, by Robert Battersby MEP, David Harris MEP and James Provan MEP, 1984
- No. 18: Europe and the Third World, Oct 1983
- No. 19: The Social Fund, by Ben Patterson MEP, Oct 1983
- No. 20: Energy Policy, by John Purvis MEP and Madron Seligman MEP, Feb 1984 [was CCO 508/11/44]
- No. 21: Europe and the Environment, by Alex Sherlock MEP, Feb 1984 [was CCO 508/11/45]
- No. 22: Consumers and the European Community, by Gloria Hooper MEP, Mar 1984
- No. 25: Europe and the Third World, by Christopher Jackson MEP, Nov 1986 [was CCO 508/11/52]
- World Hunger, by Christopher Jackson MEP, Mar 1985
- Europe and Employment: The Shape of Things to Come, by Michael Welsh MEP and Fred Tuckman MEP, Aug 1986 [was CCO 508/11/50]
- Transport in Europe, by Bill Newton Dunn MEP, Sep 1986 [was CCO 508/11/51]
Items identified as setting out the 'Conservative position' on certain single issues, comprising:-
- Bringing Down the Barriers, 1987 [was CCO 508/11/54]
- Consumers and the European Community, 1987 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/55]
- Britain's Trade in Europe, 1987 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/56]
- Europe and Jobs, 1987.
- Europe and the Environment, 1987 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/57]
- Women in Europe, Jan 1988 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/59]
- The Single European Act: Some Basic Questions, Jan 1988 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/60]
- Europe and Developing Countries: The Conservatives' Development Aims, 1988 [was CCO 508/11/61]
A new numbered series of European Conservative Brief on European issues of current concern, comprising:-
- No. 1: Older People in the European Community, Oct 1993 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/62]
- No. 2: Europe and our Environment, Oct 1993 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/63]
- No. 3: Europe and our Food, Oct 1993 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/64]
- No. 4: Agricultural Reform in the European Community, Oct 1993 [duplicate of CCO 508/11/65]
- No. 5: Conservatives and the EPP: Building a United Centre-Right in the European Parliament, Oct 1993.
- No. 6: Europe and Animal Welfare, Jan 1994.
- No. 7: Europe and the Developing Worlds, Jan 1994.
- No. 8: Europe at Work, Jan 1994.
- No. 9: Europe's Defence and Security, Apr 1994.
- No. 10: Europe and Foreign Policy, Apr 1994.
- No. 11: Labour and Europe: Five Years of Socialism in the European Parliament, Apr 1994.
- No. 12: Liberal Democrats and Europe: Failing the Credibility Test, Apr 1994.
- No. 13: Europe Against Drugs, Apr 1994.
- No. 14: The Conservative Vision of Europe: Building on the Right Kind of European Union, Apr 1994.
- No. 15: Cutting Red Tape: In Europe and at Home, Apr 1994.
- No. 16: Home Affairs Cooperation in Europe, Apr 1994.
- No. 17: Social Comparisons in Europe, Apr 1994.
1 box (1 file)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
It would appear that this publication was initially published [nos. 1-17] under the title, European Democrat Brief and subsequently [no.18/Oct 1983-Jan 1988] as European Conservative Brief by/on behalf of the European Democrat Group. From 1993 the European Conservative Brief was published by the Conservatives in the European Parliament. These publications provided a short summary of a single issue affecting Europe. Format: 3-fold A4 and 4-fold slightly larger than A4. From Mar 1985-Jan 1988 publications were not identified by number but by month and/or year of issue. Publications in Oct 1993-Apr 1994 constitute a new numbered series of Briefs on European issues of current concern.