Homilies in Old English, with Latin titles, Written in England, perhaps at Worcester, in the 2nd half of the 12th century
Homilies in Old English, with Latin titles, glossed throughout by the Worcester 'tremulous hand' for which see MSS. Hatton 20, 76. The sermons for saints' days, from st. Chad, beg. 'Men pa leofestan ic eow ongin' (p. 1). Page 398 contains a Latin Oratio de s. Katerina virgine, with a note by Thomas Barlow. Pp. 399-402 are part of a 13th-cent. compilation from Gratian's Decretum with marginal glosses referring to a complete copy.
Owing to an error in binding pp. 253-75 are to be read after p. 294, and pp. 275-90 after p. 252.
- Creation: Written in England, perhaps at Worcester, in the 2nd half of the 12th century
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
- English, Old (ca.450-1100)
MS. Hatton 116
- Artt. ii-ix (pp. 18-152), xii-xvii (pp. 179-252), and part of xix (pp. 279-90) are printed in Thorpe's Homilies
- Artt. x-xi (pp. 152-79), part of xvii (pp. 253-61), xviii (pp. 290-4) in Assmann's Bibliothek, iii. 22, 49
- Artt. xix (pp. 262-78), xviii (pp. 295-300) in Crawford's Bibliothek, x
- No. i (pp. 1-18) has been printed by Napier in Anglia, x. 141
- No. xxiii (pp. 365-373) is in Kluge's Lesebuch, p. 75
- No. xxiv (pp. 373-7) in Napier's Wulfstan, pp. 50, 56-60
- No. xxviii (pp. 382-95) in Festschrift füir Morsbach, p. 128
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 5136
Acquired as MS. Hatton 115.
- This MS. is App. iv, no. 4, in C. H. Turner's Early Worcester MSS. There is a full list of the homilies in Wanley's Catalogue, pp. 40-3, under 28 articles, of which:
- For art. xx (pp. 301-29) see MS. Hatton 115 fol. 121, for art. xxi (pp. 329-47), ib. fol. 116, for art. xxii (pp. 347-65), ib. fol. 30v, for art. xxv-vi (pp. 377-81), ib. fols. 59, 69. For the rest:
10 1/2 × 7 1/2 in.