General correspondence, 1834-1837, 1855-1868, 1937
MS. Murray 1/1
- Folder 1. Correspondence, 1834-1837, includes: 1 letter from lexicographer, Revd Dr John Jamieson, Edinburgh, to Revd Dr Aitken Minto, on the etymology of "Minto", 18 Feb 1834; 1 letter from John Sinclair[?] to William Scott, Hawick, County of Roxburgh, 10 May 1937.
- Folder 2. Correspondence 1855-1859, includes: letter from Ada Agnes Ruthven (later Murray's second wife) to her grandmother, 18 Sep 1855; letters relating to meetings of the Philological Society, and draft agreements and letters relating to the prospective publication of the Philological Society’s new English Dictionary, 1857-1859. Names in folder include: Frederick James Furnivall and Herbert Coleridge acting for the Society; R.C. Trench; John Murray; A. Asher & Co.; Messrs Trübner & Co.; David Nutt.
- Folder 3. Correspondence, 1860-1865, includes: letters addressed both to James Murray and to others. Some names included in folder: Dr Goldstücker and Stephen Austin; F.J. [Frederick James] Furnivall; James Duncan of Denholm; G. Garibaldi [Italian]; Florence Nightingale with a correction to a plan of a hospital; Arch[?] Guthrie of the Geological Survey; R. [Robert] Chambers; J. Douglas; A. Asher & Co.; Henry McLachlan; Chartered Bank of India, Australia, and China offering Murray a post at £130; William Munro; A. Cuthbertson; Walter Skeat with comments on the concise dictionary [photocopy only].
- Folder 4. Correspondence, 1866, mostly includes letters addressed to F. [Friedrich] Max Müller, Professor of Languages, on philological and etymological matters and one letter to Murray from Alex Melville Bell.
- Folder 5. Correspondence, 1867, some names included in folder: E. Murray, sister of James Murray; Walter Skeat; Sir Walter Elliott; G. Ruthven; Robert Giffen; Miss Marion Ruthven, cousin of Ada Ruthven. Folder also includes press cuttings with two letters from Max Müller and others responding to them on the etymology of 'church'.
- Folder 6. Correspondence, 1868, some names included in folder: John Young; R. Giffen; F.J. [Frederick James] Furnivall; H.H. Burrow; J. de Liefde[?]; Richard Morris; Alexander J. Ellis; Alex Michie; J. Earle; Walter Elliot; Henry B. Wheatley; James Parlane; Richard Ruthven; William Barnes (poet); F. Max Müller; J.C.[?] Atkinson, A. Dellaway.
- 1834-1837, 1855-1868, 1937
1 box (6 folders)
MS. Murray 1/1