Beddoes and Edgeworth family papers
Comprises: papers of Dr Thomas Beddoes, including lectures, notes, correspondence and family papers; papers relating to Maria Edgeworth and Thomas Lovell Beddoes; family trees; and photographs.
- late 17th century-1942
3.21 linear metres (9 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. Dep. c. 134/1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
Dep. c. 134/1-137; Dep. c. 972/1-973
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8326, 15151
Papers relating to the Beddoes and Edgeworth family.
Biographical / Historical
Dr Thomas Beddoes (1760-1808) was a physician and writer. Thomas Lovell Beddoes (1803-1849) was a poet and physiologist. Maria Edgeworth (1768-1849) was a novelist and children's writer. Details are given in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were deposited by Mrs V.J.B. Goschen in 1955. Additional papers were deposited by her daughter Tana Fletcher in 2001.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- Beddoes | Thomas Lovell | 1803-1849 | poet and physiologist
- Beddoes | Thomas | 1760-1808 | physician and writer
- Children's literature
- Edgeworth | Maria | 1768-1849 | novelist and children's writer
- English literature
- English literature -- 19th century
- Beddoes and Edgeworth family papers
- Collection Level Description by Emily Tarrant; EAD version 2021 by Catherine McIlwaine. Updated and revised 2022 by Rachael Marsay.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Second edition.