Musical miscellenea of Dr Basil Harwood
- (fols. 1-29) The musical illustrations of professorial lectures delivered by Sir John Stainer and Sir Hubert Parry. Some of the Stainer examples are in his hand.
- (fols. 30-78) Anthems by Thomas Tallis and other Tudor composers. Transcribed by Harwood from sources mostly in Christ Church Library, Ely Cathedral and the British Museum. Includes the 'Magnificat and Nunc dimittis by Nicholas Strogers, transposed from D mi to F mi [and] edited by J. Naylor from the Gostling Choir Books in York Minster Library' (fols. 61-64).
- (fol. 79) Sheet of chants from Gloucester Cathedral, given to Harwood in 1883 by Dr C.H. Lloyd, mistakenly stating that it was probably in the hand of S.S. Wesley and perhaps composed by him.
- (fols. 80-90) List of various music manuscripts in Christ Church Library.
- Creation: Date not recorded at time of cataloguing
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. c.74.]
MS. Mus. c. 74
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7168-2
Musical miscellenea of Dr Basil Harwood.
Biographical / Historical
Basil Harwood (1859-1949) was an organist and composer. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Dr Basil Harwood, 15 November 1947.
- Musical miscellenea of Dr Basil Harwood
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description