Two seventeenth century manuscripts relating to Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia
Two seventeenth century manuscripts relating to Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia:
- (MS. Eng. e. 2016) fair copy of a verse satire relating to the English Civil War, entitled 'A draught of Sr. Philip Sidneys Arcadia'. There is no external evidence of authorship, dating or provenance. Marginal references to the Arcadia on fols. 4-7 refer to one of the editions published between 1621 and 1638.
- (MS. Eng. e. 2017) Fair copy of an index to the Arcadia, entitled 'Sr. Philip Sydneys exact Characters wherein hee is both painter & poet...'. The index is in two parts: one presents brief moralised summaries of the narrative; the other is an index of names, 'A Clavis opening the names and referring to the Charrecters'. The references given in the manuscript are to one of the editions of Arcadia published between 1621 and 1638. There is no external evidence of authorship, dating or provenance, although the hand is similar to that of the 'Draught' and the paper on which the index is written bears a similar watermark.
- Creation: 17th cent.
0.22 Linear metres (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. e. 2016, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. e. 2016-2017
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 6963
Manuscripts relating to Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia
Biographical / Historical
Two seventeenth century manuscripts relating to Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia, author(s) unknown.
Sir Philip Sidney (1554–1586) was an author and courtier. For more details see Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed to the Library, together with MSS. Eng. b. 2002; c. 2026, fols. 9-34, by John Buxton in 1989.
- For a description of the 'Draught', MS. Eng. e. 2016, and a reprint of the text, see John Buxton 'A draught of...Arcadia', Historical essays 1600-1750, presented to David Ogg, eds. H.E. Bell and R.L. Ollard (1963), pp. 60-7. Buxton also refers to the index, MS. Eng. e. 2017, ibid., p. 30.
- Two seventeenth century manuscripts relating to Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia
- Collection Level Description by Susan Thomas; EAD version 2021 by Hannah Jordan
- EAD version 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description