Photographs and Ephemera relating to Uganda
Held in our offsite storage facility
Photographs and ephemera comprising:
- Studio portraits of Sir John Hathorn Hall (Governor of Uganda, 1944-1951) and Lady Hall, c.1951.
- Two photographs taken in Tanganyika on location during the filming of 'Mogambo' with Sir Andrew Cohen (Governor of Uganda, 1952-1957) and Lady Cohen, Bernard de Bunsen (Principal of Makerere), Owen Griffith (the Governor's private secretary), John Ford (the film producer), Gwendolen Hughes and members of the Tanganyika Administrative Service, c.1952.
- Seating plan for dinner at Government House, Entebbe, Uganda, to mark the coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, 2 June 1953.
- Printed programme, with maps, of the Royal Visit to Uganda, Apr 1954.
- Christmas card of the Uganda Branch of the British Red Cross Society with photograph of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II during the Royal Visit to Uganda in April 1954.
- Gwendolen Hughes' driving permit for the Uganda Protectorate issued in 1955.
- Photograph of the Law Courts at Kampala, 1956.
- Gwendolen Hughes' poll tax receipts, 1956-1962.
- Souvenir programme of the Gala Opening of the National Theatre of Uganda, Dec 1959.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 20611].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20611
Photographs and ephemera relating to Uganda.
Biographical / Historical
Gwendolen Hughes worked at Government House, Entebbe, as secretary to the Governor, Sir John Hall, and became aide-de-camp to Sir Andrew Cohen.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Bodleian Library by Gwendolen Hughes in 1988.
- Catalogue of Photographs and Ephemera relating to Uganda
- Finding aid prepared by Lucy McCann
- Language of description
- Script of description