Letters and dispatches to diplomatist Charles Stuart (later Baron Stuart de Rothesay)
Fourteen letters and dispatches, comprising
- (fols. 73-74) letter from The Hon. Henry Manvers Pierrepont (envoy to Sweden 1804-1807), Portman Square, 20 Dec 1803, and 8 Feb 1804. Discusses political and military affairs, including Anglo-Ottoman relations, and Spanish and Portuguese neutrality.
- (fols. 75-76) letter from Charles Richard Vaughan, Oxford, 14 Aug 1809, addressed to Stuart at Whitehall. Mainly concerning political and military affairs in Spain. Mentions his intention of writing up a tour through Spain, and wishes Stuart to contribute, to ‘draw up facts to be arranged’, and to supply anecdotes. This would appear to refer to an unpublished manuscript now in the Vaughan papers in the Library of All Souls' College, Oxford, entitled ‘Rough draft of a tour in Spain in 1808’.
- (fols. 77-78) letter from Lady Louisa Stuart (aunt of Charles Stuart), Bothwell Castle, 21 Aug 1809. The letter discusses criticism of Charles Stuart in relation to the Convention of Cintra; the likely effect on his interests of the publication of 'the narrative of Sir J[ohn] M[oore]'s campaign'; and‘Sir Arthur’s [Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington] prospects against the French in Spain.
- (fols. 79-80) letter from Charles Richard Vaughan, London, n.d. [around Oct 1809]. Mentions that Perceval has become Prime Minister [4 Oct 1809] and is forming a ministry.
- (fol. 81) letter from Thomas Dunmore, Deputy Commissary General at Lisbon, 5 Apr 1811
- (fol. 82) dispatch from Lt Gen Brent Spencer, Headquarters ‘Alamada’ [probably La Alameda de Gardon, Spain, near the Portuguese frontier], 15 April 1811. Announces that Wellington has left him in command of the allied army, with a report of the present position (at the beginning of the siege of Almeida).
- (fols. 83-84) letter from John Hunter, London 18 Apr 1811, concerning Don Jose Vict[orio?] Gallardo being unable to cash bills at the Foreign Office or the Transport Board, which he believes is due to Gallard’s adherence to Ferdinand VII, and asking Stuart to present his case to Wellesley.
- (fol. 85) letter from Thomas Wilson, Lisbon, 6 March 1812, concerning the smuggling of American rum and gin into Lisbon and its prevention.
- (fol. 86) brief letter from John Hunter, Richmond, 4 Aug 1812
- (fol. 87) a letter of introduction from John Thellusson, 2nd Baron Rendlesham, Rendlesham, Suffolk, 24 August 1812, for his brother Lieutenant George Thellusson [Lt George Woodruff Thellusson, killed, Vitoria, 1813], and recalling his being Stuart’s fag at Eton
- (fol. 88) brief letter from [signature illegible], Buenos Ayres, 10 Oct 1812, re the sailing of the Vesta schooner for Alexandria, Egypt
- (fol. 89) letter from ‘Wilson’, 30 Oct 1812, relating to minting coins in Lisbon
- (fol. 90) letter from Ensign W M Kortright, Coldstream Guards, ‘Quintella’ [Quintela], 10 Mar 1813, relating to the Portuguese Government’s desire to have a court martial in relation to an incident at Punhete
- (fol. 91) letter from [M?] Kennedy, Lisbon, 15 Mar 1813, asking for the name of someone in his department accused of seizing cattle on the right bank of the Tagus
- Creation: Creation: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1809-1813
- Creation: Creation: 1803, 1809-1813
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. c. 8410, fols. 1-2].
MS. Eng. c. 8410, fols. 73-91
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20994
Letters and dispatches to diplomatist Charles Stuart (later Baron Stuart de Rothesay), 1803-13
Biographical / Historical
Charles Stuart, 1st Baron Stuart de Rothesay (1779-1845) was a diplomat. He served as Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary in Portugal from 1810 to 1814. For further details see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased, Dominic Winter, Mar 2021.
- Catalogue of letters and dispatches to diplomatist Charles Stuart (later Baron Stuart de Rothesay)
- Finding aid prepared by Mike Webb
- Language of description
- Script of description