Autograph albums and letters belonging to John Farmer
Autograph albums and loose letters that likely belonged to John Farmer, the organist of Balliol College (1885-1900) and founder of the Balliol College Music Society. Writers of letters/autographs include Joseph Joachim, Hubert Parry, Edward Dannreuther, Pablo de Sarasate, Ernst von Dohnanyi and various musicians with Oxford connections. Many of the signatures are illegible.
- 1843-1912, n.d.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 15630].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15630
Autograph albums and letters belonging to John Farmer, 1843-1912, n.d.
Biographical / Historical
John Farmer (1836–1901) was a musician born in Nottingham, whose published compositions include many songs for Harrow School, Balliol College, and elsewhere in Oxford. He travelled extensively studying music before returning to England where he took over Harrow's musical society in 1864. He was then the Balliol College organist until his stroke in 1900. He died in Oxford, 1901.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Judith Simms, 13 May 2015.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Autograph albums
- Dannreuther | Edward George | 1844–1905 | pianist and writer
- Dohnanyi | Ernst von | 1877-1960 | composer, pianist and conductor
- Farmer | John | 1836–1901 | musician
- Hadow | Sir | William Henry | 1859–1937 | Knight | composer
- Joachim | Joseph | 1831–1907 | violinist
- Musicians -- Correspondence
- Parry | Sir | Charles Hubert Hastings | 1848-1918 | Knight | composer and musical writer
- Penley | William Sydney | 1851-1912 | actor and theatre manager
- Prout | Ebenezer | 1835-1909 | music theorist and journal editor
- Roeger | Maria | Soldat- | 1863-1955 | violin virtuoso
- Sarasate | Pablo de | 1844-1908 | violin virtuoso, composer and conductor
- Stainer | Sir | John | 1840–1901 | Knight | musicologist and composer
- University of Oxford -- Societies, etc.
- Walker | Ernest | 1870–1949 | author, pianist and composer
- Autograph albums and letters belonging to John Farmer, 1843-1912, n.d.
- Finding aid prepared by Jen Patterson
- Language of description
- Script of description