Correspondence of Pietro Bembo
MS. Ital. c. 23
Correspondence of Pietro Bembo (1470-1547), including:
- (fols. 1-9, 30-56) draft letters to various correspondents, 1515-1539;
- (fols. 10-29) letters to his secretary, Cola Bruno, 1529-1540;
- (fols. 61-148) letters to Bembo, 1512-1542.
Many letters are printed in Pietro Bembo, Opere (Venice, 1729).
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Ital. c. 23, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Ital. c. 23
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16641
Correspondence of Pietro Bembo (1470-1547).
Biographical / Historical
Pietro Bembo (1470-1547) was an Italian scholar, poet, literary theorist and a cardinal.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 47608.
- Owned by Marchese Ugolino Barisone, 1729;
- MS. MCCCXCI in the library of Jacopo Soranzo, 1747;
- Bought by M. L. Canonici soon after 1780;
- Bookplate of Walter Sneyd, who bought it in 1835.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Sotheby's, 27 June 1932 (Sneyd sale), lot 138.
- See C. H. Clough A portion of Pietro Bembo's Epistolario, BLR, 8 (1967-72), 26-40.
Bound for M. L. Canonici in red morocco, gilt, labelled 'Lettere origin. di M. Pietro Bembo e di altri a lui' on spine, late 18th century
- Correspondence of Pietro Bembo (1470-1547)
- EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description