Arcangelo Corelli: 12 sonatas for two violins, bass and continuo, op. 2
12 sonatas for two violins, bass, and continuo by Corelli, op. 2, published in 1685. Parts copied by James Sherard, whose name in the form he used as a young man (Sharwood) is on the part for 'Bass de viol', fol. 36.
The parts are: 1st violin, fols. 3v-15; 2nd violin, fols. 20v-32; bass viol, fols. 37v-49 inscribed 'Fine. Archangello Corelle'; figured bass, fols. 55v-67.
- Creation: late 17th cent.
Language of Materials
Large upright quarto
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. Sch. d. 255, fols. 1-2].
MS. Mus. Sch. d. 255
Music School B. 4. 13
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17360
Arcangelo Corelli. 12 sonatas for two violins, bass and continuo, op. 2, late 17th cent.
Biographical / Historical
Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713) was a composer and violinist. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Other Finding Aids
Robert Hake, [Catalogue of the Music School Collection], c 1850-1855. No. CXIX.
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 26546.
This item is part of the Music School collection of printed and manuscript music, which was originally bequeathed to the University of Oxford by William Heather (c 1563-1627), and gradually added to until the end of the 18th century. The present manuscript was owned by James Sherard in c 1700.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the Bodleian in 1885.
- Margaret Crum, 'James Sherard and the Oxford Music School Collection', conference paper (Oxford, 1986) [unpublished].
- Michael Tilmouth, 'James Sherard: an English amateur composer', Music & Letters Vol. 47, No. 4 (Oct., 1966), pp. 313-322.
- Min-Jung Kang, 'The sonata in Restoration England: from fantasia suites to early English trio sonatas', Journal of Musicological Research, 39:4 (2020), 276-300.
Large upright quarto
70 leaves. Each instrumental part occupies one quire. Watermark resembles Heawood 1781 A. Ruling, 12 5-lined staves, red marginal ruling. Parts bound in red and white marbled boards, as MS. Mus. Sch. c. 77.
- 12 sonatas for two violins, bass, and continuo by Arcangello Corelli, op. 2
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description