12 sonatas for two violins, bass and basso continuo, copied by James Sherard
12 sonatas for two violins, bass and basso continuo, copied by James Sherard, apparently from the same source as MSS. Mus. Sch. e. 400-403, nos. 36-47 (possibly British Library Add. MS. 33236?), where they are ascribed to Ruggiero, Blow, Corelli and Purcell. Sonata 12 is not in MS. Mus. Sch. e. 400-403. There is no basso continuo for Sonata 8.
The instrumental parts are: violin 1, fols. 20v-32; violin 2, fols. 53v-65; bass, fols. 2v-14; basso continuo, fols. 37v-49.
1. [Carolo Ruggiero]. 'Sonata prima' in D minor. Fols. 2v-3, 20v-21, 37v-38, 53v-54.
2. [John Blow]. In A major. Fols. 3v-4, 21v-22, 38v-39, 54v-55.
3. Unidentified English sonata in G major (published as Blow's by W. Gillies Whittaker, Oiseau Lyre, 1933). Fols. 4v-5, 22v-23, 39v-40, 55v-56.
4. [A. Corelli]. In A major. Fols. 5v-6, 23v-24, 40v-41, 56v-57.
5. [A. Corelli]. In A major. Fols. 6v-7, 24v-25, 41v-42, 57v-58.
6. [H. Purcell]. In E flat major [Z. 803]. Fols. 7v-8, 25v-26, 42v-43, 58v-59.
7. [H. Purcell]. In A minor [Z. 802]. Fols. 8v-9, 26v-27, 43v-44, 59v-60.
8. [H. Purcell]. In A minor [Z. 804]. Fols. 9v-10, 27v-28, 60v-61 [lacks basso continuo part].
9-12. Four anonymous sonatas, B flat, D, B flat and A major. Fols. 10v-14 , 28v-32 , 45v-49, 61v-65 [the final sonata does not appear in MSS. Mus. Sch. e. 400-403].
- Creation: late 17th/early 18th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. Sch. d. 254, fols. 1-2].
MS. Mus. Sch. d. 254 (Former shelfmark: Music School B. 4. 14)
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17359
12 sonatas for two violins, bass and basso continuo, copied by James Sherard, late 17th/early 18th cent.
Biographical / Historical
James Sherard [Sharwood] (1666-1738) was an apothecary, botanist and amateur musician. See Grove Music Online for further details and for information about the other composers represented, with the exception of Ruggiero, about whom nothing appears to be known.
Other Finding Aids
Robert Hake, [Catalogue of the Music School Collection], c 1850-1855. No. CXVIII.
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 26545.
This item is part of the Music School collection of printed and manuscript music, which was originally bequeathed to the University of Oxford by William Heather (c 1563-1627), and gradually added to until the end of the 18th century.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the Bodleian in 1885.
- Margaret Crum, 'James Sherard and the Oxford Music School Collection', conference paper (Oxford, 1986) [unpublished].
- Michael Tilmouth, 'James Sherard: an English amateur composer', Music & Letters Vol. 47, No. 4 (Oct., 1966), pp. 313-322.
- Min-Jung Kang, 'The sonata in Restoration England: from fantasia suites to early English trio sonatas', Journal of Musicological Research, 39:4 (2020), 276-300.
67 leaves in 4 gatherings. Watermark, Fleur de Lys; countermark resembles Heawood 1781 A. Ruling, 12 5-lined staves, red marginal ruling. 1st violin and bass in red, orange, turquoise and white marbled board covers.
Large upright quarto
- 12 sonatas for two violins, bass and basso continuo, copied by James Sherard
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description