Archive of Frederick W. Sternfeld
A collection of manuscript and printed scores and other material, mostly relating to film music, previously owned by F.W. Sternfeld. Also included are some sound recordings (mostly 78s) and a group of letters from the American composer Virgil Thomson.
- 1938-1962, n.d.
0.77 linear metres (7 boxes)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
The vinyl records, [MSS.] Mus. Records. 1-17, are not currently available to order.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 15547].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MS. Mus. a. 20, MSS. Mus. b. 532-541, [MSS.] Mus. Records 1-17, MS. 15547
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15547
Archive of Frederick W. Sternfeld, 1938-1962, n.d.
Biographical / Historical
Frederick W. Sternfeld (1914-1994) was a British musicologist of Austrian birth. He was made Reader in the History of Music at the University of Oxford in 1972. See Oxford Music Online for further information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Music Faculty Library, 1 January 2012.
The following printed material was part of this collection and can be ordered via SOLO:
- Jean Françaix, 'La chanson des Maréchaux' from Napoleon. Words by Sacha Guitry. Mayence: Schott's Sohne, 1955.
- Francis Poulenc, L'embarquement pour Cythère: Valse-Musette pour deux pianos. Paris: Max Eschig, 1952.
- Erik Satie, Parade: ballet réaliste. Réduction pour piano à quatre mains. Foreword by Georges Auric; collaboration with Jean Cocteau, Pablo Picasso and M. Serge de Diaghilew. Paris: Rouart, Lerolle & Cie., 1917 (1951 printing).
- Michael Tippett, The mask of time. [Libretto]. London: Scott, 1983.
- A collection of Film Music Notes magazines, 1949-1956.
- Catalogue of the archive of Frederick W. Sternfeld
- Jen Patterson
- Language of description
- Script of description