Typescript draft of a biography of Ernest Walker by Margaret Deneke
Typescript draft of a biography by Margaret Deneke of the composer and musician Ernest Walker, published by Oxford University Press in 1951. The draft includes manuscript notes and corrections made within the text. At the end of the text is a series of photographs pasted onto the pages of the book.
Inserted in the notebook are:
- Letter addressed to Margaret Deneke from a Bodleian Librarian, dated 2 Jun 1950, concerning having the biography published.
- Letter dated 28 May 1965, addressed to Mr and Mrs Rosenthal from Margaret Deneke, with an advert for the Oxford Ladies Musical Society.
- Print of a drawing of Ernest Walker signed by Didd, 1934.
- Picture of a room with the inscription 'My room in Staircase III. Garden Quadangle. October 1889-June 1890.'
- Handwritten list of names and song titles for 'The Dunek 2 Recitals', e.g. Haydn 'My mother Bids'.
- Programme for a concert at the Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford for the benefit of The Oxford Preservation Trust; performed by The Busch Quartet and including a composition written by Walker, 1936.
- Oxford Music Bulletin, Sep 1946.
- Creation: 1936, 1946, 1950-1951, 1965
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 6295].
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 6295
Typescript draft of a biography of Ernest Walker by Margaret Deneke with related items, 1936-1965.
Biographical / Historical
Ernest Walker (1870–1949) was an English teacher, writer on music, composer and pianist. Please see Grove Music Online for more information.
Margaret Deneke (1882-1969) was an author and musicologist. Please see Who's Who for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Julia Rosenthal, 15 December 2008.
- Typescript draft of a biography of Ernest Walker by Margaret Deneke, 1936-1965
- Finding aid prepared by Jen Patterson
- Language of description
- Script of description