Miscellaneous Berkshire papers, manuscript and printed
Miscellaneous Berkshire papers, manuscript and printed. Among the former are:
- (fol. 34) Systematic architectural notes of the churches of Letcombe Basset, Ardington, Chilton, and Letcombe Regis, made about 1855;
- (fol. 59) A deed by which Henry Norris, Lord Norris of Rycote, appoints Thomas Punter (?) his attorney for dealing with certain lands in Cookham, Apr. 2, 1600, in Latin, on parchment, with Lord Norreys' seal;
- (fol. 60) 'Translation of Extracts from Minister's Accounts, 30 Hen. 8th to the 1 & 2 Phil. & Mary', the accounts being of the Augmentation Office relating to fairs, market, etc., at Farringdon, 1538-1555: and (fols. 70, 78) Translations of other old records chiefly of the Court of Chancery, relating to the same subject and including some Beaulieu charters, 1205-1468, all made for the purposes of a law-suit of about 1855;
- (fol. 76) A copy of the particular of the lands at Foxley granted July 9, 1316, to John of Foxley, made Sept. 13, 1604, cf. fol. 98, and a plan of the manor of Foxley in 1624 at fol. 100;
- (fol. 94) Pages 3-6, 63-66 of a neatly written topographical work which included 'a description of the church etc. at West Hanney, Berks.' (with coloured coats of arms, abt. 1830?);
- (fol. 101) A poll-book of the borough of Reading showing the voting at a parliamentary election on Nov. 26, 1740.
- Creation: chiefly written in A.D. 1600-about 1855
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Berks b. 3, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Berks b. 3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20581
Miscellaneous Berkshire papers, manuscript and printed, chiefly written in A.D. 1600-about 1855.
Biographical / Historical
Henry Norris, 1st Baron Norris of Rycote (1525-1601).
Sir John Foxley, of Bray (c.1270-1324) was Baron of the Exchequer.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30694.
A few of the papers in this volume belonged to W. N. Clarke.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired by the Library in or prior to 1882.
On paper and on parchment, bound in 1882.
17 1/2 × 13 1/2 in.
- Miscellaneous Berkshire papers, manuscript and printed
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description