Offices for the church liturgy
Offices for the church liturgy, written for, and perhaps by, 'frater Johannes Schwayckofer cenobita in Nereszhain 1534' (fol. 1): he was afterwards abbot of the Benedictine abbey (of stt. Afra and Udalric, at Neresheim in Würtemberg).
The contents are:
- (fol. 3) a calendar, with additions 1535-1571: the dedication festival was on the Sunday before st. Bartholomew's day;
- (fol. 9) the musical portions of the Office for the Dead;
- (fol. 18v) a hymnarium, with an addition of 1570;
- (fol. 52v) Invitatoria;
- (fol. 58) Antiphonae;
- (fol. 93) the seven Penitential Psalms;
- (fol. 98) various hymns, including the Salve Regina and a note about its composer Hermannus Contractus of St. Gall (cf. fol. 37v), with later additions.
There are musical notes in several of the above parts: and scattered notes.
Two parchment leaves of a 12th century breviary are pasted on the inner covers.
- Creation: written in A.D. 1534
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Liturg. 403, fols. 1-2]
MS. Liturg. 403
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 19889
Offices for the church liturgy, written in A.D. 1534.
Biographical / Historical
Johannes Schwayckofer (fl. 1534) abbot of the Benedictine abbey of Saint Afra and Udalric, at Neresheim in Würtemberg.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29452.
With an early 17th century armorial book-plate of a bishop at fol. 2 (arms, on a bend sinister between two roses the letters A I S).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought in 1884 from H. Grevel, bookseller (catal. 4, no. 12), for £1 8s.
On paper, with some illuminated capitals, binding, half white parchment on boards, stamped, with clasp, contemporary German work
8 3/4 × 6 1/4 in.
- Offices for the church liturgy
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description