Holograph Manuscript of Alexander Huish's 'Lectures upon the Lord's Prayer'
Holograph manuscript of Alexander Huish's 'Lectures upon the Lord's Prayer', 1622-5 (published, London, 1626), with some alterations in the text, a few passages crossed out, and the following items not included in the published text:
- 'An elegie upon the death of the intended patron [Arthur Lake, Bishop of Bath and Wells] of this booke, who deceased the 4th of May 1626'
- dedications to Arthur Lake, and to the Warden, Fellows and students of Wadham College, Oxford
- a Latin colophon by Huish
- note by Thomas James that the lectures are 'consonant to the faith...of ye Church of England', 24 April 1626
- imprimaturs of John Prideaux, Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University, and John Harris.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. th. f. 65].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. th. f. 65-7
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13033
Biographical / Historical
Alexander Huish (1594?-1668) was a biblical scholar. See the Dictionary of National Biography for further details.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library from Rev. John Hencher, 1983.
- 17th century
- Church of England | Bishops
- Harris | John | c 1666-1719 | clergyman, scientific writer, and antiquary
- Huish | Alexander | 1595-1668 | Biblical scholar
- James | Thomas | ? 1573-1629 | Bodley's Librarian and Sub Dean of Wells
- Lake | Arthur | 1569-1626 | Bishop of Bath and Wells
- Lord's prayer
- Prideaux | John | 1578-1650 | Bishop of Worcester
- University of Oxford | Wadham College
- Holograph Manuscript of Alexander Huish's 'Lectures upon the Lord's Prayer'
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description