Photographs and other material related to T.W. Bourne
MS. 15641 Photogr. 1
Held in our offsite storage facility
- (fol. 1) Portrait of T.W. Bourne with his 4-string violoncello by Nicola Amati, n.d.
- (fols. 2-4) Group of 3 small photographs of T.W. Bourne with his 3-string violoncello, n.d.
- (fols. 5-11) Group of 7 photographs of a 3-string violoncello (front and peg box), n.d.
- (fols. 12-13) 2 photographs of an F hole of a Gasparo da Salò instrument, n.d.
- (fols. 14-15) 2 photographs of a violoncello made by Gasparo da Salò, n.d.
- (fol. 16) Photograph of a violin made by Giovanni Paolo Maggini, n.d.
- (fols. 17-18) 2 photographs of a violin made by Thomas Perry in 1780, n.d.
- (fols. 19-20) 2 photographs of an unidentified violin (front and back), n.d.
- (fol. 21) Photo-postcard of a violin from the front and the back, 2 Mar 1914
- (fols. 22-23) 2 photographs of a bow, n.d.
- (fols. 24-28) Christmas card from Nicholas Cooke with a pasted photo of two sailboats, n.d.
- (fol. 29) Image by [P.M.] Goodchild of Thomas Dean, double-bass player, n.d.
- (fol. 30) Image by Claude Harris of Victor Watson, double-bass player, n.d.
- (fol. 31) Image of Victor Watson, double-bass player, n.d.
Extracts from music magazines:
- (fols. 32-45) Monthly Musical Record, 1 Jun 1897
- (fols. 46-50) The Musical Times, 1 Jul 1904
- (fols. 51-52) The Musical Times, 1 Aug 1904
- (fols. 53-56) The Musical Times, 1 Nov 1904
- (fols. 57-61) The Musical Times, 1 Nov 1909
- 1897-1914, n.d.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 15641 Photogr. 1, fol. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. 15641 Photogr. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15641
A small group of photographs of and relating to the Handel scholar T.W. Bourne, along with some press cuttings, etc.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas William Bourne (1862-1948) was a musical scholar with main interest in G.F. Handel. First biographical details were published in an article by Sir Thomas Armstrong 'T.W. Bourne (1862-1948) - a forgotten pioneer' in The Handel Institute Newsletter, vol. 3 no. 1 (Spring 1992). Further biographical information can be found in the introduction to the catalogue of the music bequeathed by T.W. Bourne to the Bodleian Library and published on the Bodleian Archives & Manuscripts website.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Richard Newton through Dana Josephson, 2 December 2015.
- Catalogue of photographs and other material related to T.W. Bourne, 1897-1914, n.d.
- Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description