'The Kingsland Mercury' (Juvenile Periodical)
Held in our offsite storage facility
Six issues (some incomplete) of 'The Kingsland Mercury', dated Mar-Oct 1854, created by S. Horn and E. and J. Woodall of Mardol Head, Shrewsbury. Manuscript on [letter] paper folded into booklets with pages 112 x 90mm, ruled in double columns with calligraphic headings, some with original stitching. Issues comprise:
- 'Supplement to the Mercury', 6 Mar 1854 [4pp., incomplete?]. With sections 'The Preparations for [the Crimean] War' and 'Comic News'. 'Published' by E. Woodall and S. Horn of Mardol Head, Shrewsbury.
- 'The Kingsland Mercury', [3 Apr 1854], [4pp., incomplete]. With 'War Anthem' poem; 'What Nobody Does' story; correspondence with the editors ('the time which some of the subscribers' keep The Kingsland Mercury 'is almost intolerable'); 'Foreign News'; 'The Queen's Message' (declaration of war); and notification of change of editors to E. and J. Woodall.
- 'The Kingsland Mercury', [9 Apr 1854] [4pp., incomplete]. With 'A Portrait of Sir Chas Napier'; news on the comet; and war news.
- 'The Kingsland Mercury Supplement', 9 Apr 1854 [4pp., incomplete]. With 'Foreign News: The War'; and 'Local News'.
- 'The Kingsland Mercury And Advertiser', 29 Aug 1854 [16pp.]. With story 'The House of the Merchant'; 'Varieties' ('cheaper paper' and 'the curative effects of lightening'); 'Phonography'; 'War'; and poem 'The negro's wrongs' [anti-slavery] by Edward Woodall; 'Local News' (cholera, harvest and new beer act); etc.
- 'The Kingsland Mercury Supplement', 29 Aug 1854 [10pp.]. With correspondence regarding playing in the quarry; and war news.
- 'The Kingsland Mercury And Advertiser', 10 Oct 1854, [20pp.]. With story 'The Crippled Orphan of Tyrol'; 'Varieties'; 'War'; and 'Riddles'.
- Mar-Oct 1854
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 18763].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18763
'The Kingsland Mercury' (Juvenile Periodical), 1854.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Justin Croft Antiquarian Books with the help of the Friends of the Bodleian, August 2020.
- Catalogue of 'The Kingsland Mercury' (Juvenile Periodical)
- Finding aid prepared by Rachael Marsay
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Catalogued with the generous support of the Roy Davids bequest