Papers and treatises, chiefly by or relating to John Gunthorpe, Dean of Wells
Papers and treatises, chiefly by or relating to John Gunthorpe, dean of Wells (d. 1498):
- Late 15th cent., fol. 1. 'Gunthorpi Rhetorica', a later title: the latter part only, beg. 'sed adversarij sui', some leaves being lost at the beginning and end. The hand changes on fol. 26v. The last chapter is on 'Dialectica' (fol. 46: beg. 'Dialectica est bene disputandi scientia').
- 2nd half of the 15th cent., fol. 58. 'Sinonomorum Ciceronis liber ... scriptus atque editus ad Lucium Veturium', the spurious work: at end, 'Expliciunt Sinonoma Ciceronis Quod Gunthorpe': so this may be in Gunthorpe's own hand.
- Early 16th cent., fol. 73. Five or more orationes legatinae of Gunthorpe when English ambassador abroad: two are dated Oct. 23, 1466 and July 8, 1465. These are unfinished but revised copies. At fol. 94a are some English notes of stories illustrating the Decalogue (16th cent.).
- Late 15th cent., fol. 95). 'Compilacio magistri Thadei de Bononia de aquis et oleis medicinalibus', beg. 'Testante propheta scientia': followed by some recipes (fol. 120v) and a treatise 'de vinis medicinalibus ', beg. 'Vinum roris marini ', perhaps by the same author.
- Fol. 132. 'Liber de transformacionibus qui fertur ab Egiptijs adinuentus': beg. 'Vt cucumeri nascantur ': a medical work.
- Fols. 137, 179). Notes on classical passages, stated in a list of contents to be by Gunthorpe.
- Early 16th cent., fol. 156. Copies of some letters from John Phreas or Free, followed by some diagrams, some of them published in the Journal of Comparative Literature, vol. i, no. 1, Jan. 1903.
- Early 16th cent., fol. 191. Copies of two bulls of pope Pius ii, one dated Jan. 14, 149, the other imperfect at end, both against the Turks. Foll. 202-3 are some 17th cent. medical notes pasted in.
- Creation: Made up of several MSS. written in the 15th and 16th century in England
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Bodl. 587, fols. 1-2]
MS. Bodl. 587
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17951
Papers and treatises, chiefly by or relating to John Gunthorpe, dean of Wells
Biographical / Historical
John Gunthorpe (d. 1498) was Dean of Wells and an administrator.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 2359
Manuscript 785 acquired by the Bodleian Library
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Presented by Thomas Twyne in 1612.
8 5/8 × 6 1/2 in.
- Papers and treatises, chiefly by or relating to John Gunthorpe, Dean of Wells
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description