Letters of Miriam Gross
Held in our offsite storage facility
Contains letters sent to Miriam Gross in response to requests for books of the year, favourite poems or reference books to use as a feature piece, and interviews. Writers include:
- BERLIN, Isaiah, 1970-1997 - one autograph and eleven typescript signed letters. With: three copy typescript letters from Gross to Berlin; one copy typescript transcript of postcard from Berlin, 30 Aug 1979; and letter from Donald Trelford, The Observer, 8 Aug 1979. Most refer to Gross's (repeated) request for Berlin's 'Books of the Year' and 'conversation' [interview] with Berlin ['Art for Liberation's Sake'], Aug 1979.
- BILLIERE, General Sir Peter de la, 22 Jan 1992 - one typescript signed letter and copy of letter from Gross to Billiere, 16 Jan 1992. [closed]
- BOGARDE, Dirk, 19 Jun 1992 - one typescript signed letter.
- BRENDEL, Alfred, 6 Apr 1992 - one typescript letter [signed pp]. [closed]
- CARTLAND, Barbara, 3 Jun 1993 - one typescript signed letter.
- CORNWELL, David [John le Carré], Jul-Nov 1982. Two manuscript signed letters.
- CARVER, Michael, Field Marshall Lord Carver, 9 Nov 1991 - one typescript signed letter.
- CHANG, Jung, 31 Jul 1993 - one manuscript letter with printout of poem and reasons for choice.
- COOPER, Jilly, 7 Sep 1993 - one typescript signed letter.
- CRUISE O'BRIEN, Conor, 2 Oct 1991 - one typescript signed letter.
- DAY, Sir Robin, Nov 1992-Aug 1993 - two typescript signed letters, one enclosing typescript copy poem and reason for selection.
- EYRE, Richard, 1992 - one manuscript signed postcard [25 Oct] and fax [29 Jun]. Fax very faded*.
- FRAYN, Michael, 3 Jun 1992 - one typescript signed letter. [closed]
- GUINNESS, Alec, 1993-2000 - one manuscript signed postcard and two manuscript signed letters, one with manuscript copy of two limericks attached giving reason for choice [31 Mar 1993]. Second letter missing attachment.
- HEALEY, Dennis, 10 Nov 1992, 13 Jul [n.d.] - one typescript signed and one manuscript signed letter.
- HOGG, Quentin, Baron Hailsham of St Marylebone, 26 Mar-2 Dec 1993 - two manuscript signed letters.
- HORTON, Robert, 8 Oct 1991 - one manuscript signed letter.
- JAMES, Clive, 18 Oct 1993 - one printout signed letter with photocopy of chosen poem attached.
- KAUFMAN, Gerald, 3 Jun 1991 - one typescript signed letter.
- LARKIN, Philip, Feb-Aug 1979 - three typescript signed letters, with copy typescript letter from Gross [27 Feb 1979].
- LILLEY, Peter, 13 Oct 1993 - one typescript signed letter.
- LODGE, David, 8 Jun 1992 - one manuscript signed postcard. [closed]
- MORTIMER, John, 18 Sep 1993 - one typescript signed letter.
- McCARTHY, Mary, 14 Dec 1980 - one manuscript signed letter. Refers to funeral of Sonia Orwell.
- MUGGERIDGE, Malcolm, 16 Nov 1984 - one typescript signed letter.
- MURDOCH, Iris, n.d. - four manuscript signed letters and one manuscript signed postcard.
- OSBORNE, Helen, Jan-Jun 1992 - one manuscript signed letter and one manuscript signed postcard.
- PERUTZ, Max, 27 Nov 1993 - one manuscript signed letter.
- POST, Laurens van der, 17 Nov 1993 - one typescript signed letter.
- SHEARER, Moira, 29 Apr [n.d.] - one manuscript signed letter.
- SPENDER, Stephen, 2 Nov 1993 - one page fax. Very faded*.
- [?], Philip, n.d. - one manuscript signed letter.
- Annotated typescript copy of poem 'December in Florence' [by Joseph Brodsky].
*Enhanced photographic print outs of the text from the faded faxes of Richard Eyre and Stephen Spender have been included [Mar 2020].
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Some material is closed.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 17235].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17235
Catalogue of letters received by Miriam Gross, 1970-2000.
Biographical / Historical
For biographical information, see Who's Who and The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased by the Bodleian Library with the support of the Roy Davids fund from James Fergusson Books and Manuscripts (sold in aid of the Friends of the National Libraries), 2019.
- 20th century
- Berlin | Sir | Isaiah | 1909-1997 | Knight | historian and philosopher
- Books and reading
- Cornwell | David John Moore | 1931-2020 | writer, pseudonym John le Carré
- Day | Sir | Robin | 1923-2000 | Knight | broadcaster, journalist
- Gross | Miriam Marianna | b. 1938 | née May | journalist and writer, wife of Sir Geoffrey Owen
- Guinness | Alec | 1914-2000 | actor
- Hogg | Quentin McGarel | 1907-2001 | Baron Hailsham of St Marylebone, formerly Viscount Hailsham | lawyer and politician
- Larkin | Philip Arthur | 1922-1985 | poet
- McCarthy | Mary | 1912-1989 | writer
- Murdoch | Dame | Iris | 1919-1999 | novelist and philosopher
- Perutz | Max Ferdinand | 1914-2002 | biologist
- Spender | Sir | Stephen Harold | 1909-1995 | Knight | poet
- Catalogue of letters of Miriam Gross
- Finding aid prepared by Rachael Marsay
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Catalogued with the generous support of the Roy Davids bequest