'A Catalogue of All the Books which belong now to ye Musick Schoole 1682'
One of the early lists of the Oxford Music School Collection, the nucleus of which was William Heather's benefaction to the University of Oxford in 1627. This list was made following the death of Edward Lowe (1610-1682), Heather Professor of Music and custodian of the collection to that point. Now stored as a roll, it was formerly framed and hung in the Schola Musicae in what is now the Bodleian's Old Schools Quadrangle.
- Creation: 1682
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. Sch. c. 204 (R)].
MS. Mus. Sch. c. 204 (R)
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18134
Catalogue of the music books in the Music School at Oxford, 1682.
Biographical / Historical
William Heyther [Heather] (c 1553-1627) was a lay clerk who sang in the choir of Westminster Abbey and as a Gentleman of the Chapel Royal. The collection of music books which he bequeathed to the University of Oxford formed the nucleus of the Oxford Music School Collection. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Formerly kept framed in Music School and referenced on 5 July 1941.
This item is part of the Music School collection of printed and manuscript music, which was originally bequeathed to the University of Oxford by William Heather (c 1563-1627), and gradually added to until the end of the 18th century.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the Bodleian in 1885.
331 × 738 mm.
- Catalogue of books in the Oxford Music School
- EAD version 2021 by Hannah Jordan
- Language of description
- Script of description