'A catalogue of so many setts of bookes as were given by Mr. Doctor Heather to the Universitie of Oxford, at the tyme of his first founding the practise of musick there'
One of the early lists of William Heather's benefaction to the University of Oxford which formed the basis of the Oxford Music School collection. Now stored as a roll, it was formerly framed and hung in the Schola Musicae in what is now the Bodleian's Old Schools Quadrangle.
- Creation: [1627?]
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. Sch. c. 203 (R)].
MS. Mus. Sch. c. 203 (R)
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18135
List of the books given by Dr William Heather to the University of Oxford which formed the nucleus of the Oxford Music School Collection.
Biographical / Historical
William Heyther [Heather] (c 1553-1627) was a lay clerk who sang in the choir of Westminster Abbey and as a Gentleman of the Chapel Royal. The collection of music books which he bequeathed to the University of Oxford formed the nucleus of the Oxford Music School Collection. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Formerly kept framed in the Music School and referenced on 5 July 1941.
This item is part of the Music School collection of printed and manuscript music, which was originally bequeathed to the University of Oxford by William Heather (c 1563-1627), and gradually added to until the end of the 18th century.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the Bodleian in 1885.
331 × 1007 mm.
- Catalogue of books given to the University of Oxford by William Heather
- EAD version 2021 by Hannah Jordan
- Language of description
- Script of description