Sacred music by Italian composers
Motets by Italian composers in four part-books: i, 'Altus'; ii, 'Tenor'; iii, 'Bassus'; iv, 'Basso Continuo'. The first sections were copied by 'Mr Husband' (in the early 1670s?) before coming into the possession of Edward Lowe. More music was added by Matthew Hutton (no. 11) and Lowe, working with an unidentified scribe before 1679, with two further pieces appended (nos. 17-18) by the elder Richard Goodson (late 17th/early 18th cent.). The motets are indexed by Lowe in part-book iv.
1-3: Agostino Faccho. 3 motets. Published in Motetti, 1635.
4-6: Francesco Maria Marini. 3 motets. Published in Concerti Spirituali, 1637, attributed to 'Joh. Baptista'.
8-9: Felice Sances. 2 motets. Published in Motetti, 1638.
12-14: Lowe's copies of motets by Carissimi.
15-16: Through bass of two motets in MSS. Mus. Sch. c. 12-19.
17-18: The elder R. Goodson's copies of two motets. No through bass.
- Agostino Facchi. Exurgat Deus. i-iv, fol. 2.
- Agostino Facchi. O sacrum convivium. i, ii, fols. 2v-3; iii, fol. 3; iv, fol. 2v.
- Agostino Facchi. Audite caeli. i, ii, fol. 3v; iii, fols. 3v-4; iv, fol. 3.
- Johannes Baptista [Aloisi]. Quid mihi est. i, ii, fol. 4v; iii, fols. 4v-5; iv, fols. 3v-4.
- 'Joha: Bap:' [Francesco Marini]. Anima mea liquefacta est. i, iv, fols. 4v-5; ii, fol. 5; iii, fols. 5v-6.
- 'Jo: Bap:' [Francesco Marini]. Magnum haereditatis. i, iv, fols. 5v-6; ii, fols. 5v-6v; iii, fols. 6v-7.
- 'Jo: Bap:' [Francesco Marini]. O vos omnes. i, iv, fol. 6v; ii, fols. 6v-7; iii, fol. 7v.
- Felice Sances. Plagae tuae. i, iv, fols. 7-8; ii, fols. 7v-8v; iii, fols. 8-9.
- F. Sances. O Domine guttae tuae. i, fols. 8v-9v; ii, fols. 9-10; iii, fols. 9v-10; iv, fols. 8v-9.
- Gaspare Phillipi. O sacrum convivium. i, ii, iii, fols. 10v-11; iv, fol. 9v.
- F. Sances. Magnificemus in cantico. i, ii, iii, fols. 11v-12; E. Lowe's copy in iv, fols. 10v-11. [Hutton copied fol. 11v in i, fol. 11v-12 in ii and iii].
- [F. Sances]. O crux benedicta. i, fols. 12v-13; ii, fol. 12v; iii, fol. 13; iv, 'Through base in my great folio', i.e. MS. Mus. Sch. c. 10.
- Carissimi. Audite sancti. i, ii, fols. 13-14v; iii, fols. 13v-14v; no through bass.
- [Natale Monferrato]. Salve regina. i, iii, fol. 15v; ii, fols. 14v-15; iv, fols. 11v-12.
- Sanctum redemptoris. iv, fol. 12.
- [Nicolò Fontei]. Et ecce sonuit. iv, fols. 12v-13.
- [F. Marini]. O vos omnes. The same as 7 above. i, iii, fol. 16; ii, fol. 15v.
- [Giuseppe Scarani?]. Transfige me Domine. i, fols. 16v-17; ii, fol. 16. No singing bass.
For a further description of this manuscript by J.P. Wainwright, please consult Music staff.
- Creation: [c 1670-1700?]
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. Sch. c. 24, fols. 1-2].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Mus. Sch. c. 24-27
Music School A. 6. 33-36
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17464
Sacred music by Italian composers, compiled in the latter part of the 17th century.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Lowe (c 1610-1682) was a composer, music copyist, organist and writer on music. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Agostino Facchi, Francesco Maria Marini, Felice Sances, and Giovanni Carissimi were 17th-century Italian composers. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Other Finding Aids
Lowe's no. 31. On the 1682 list.
Robert Hake, [Catalogue of the Music School Collection], c 1850-1855. No. X.
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 26380-26383.
This item is part of the Music School collection of printed and manuscript music, which was originally bequeathed to the University of Oxford by William Heather (c 1563-1627), and gradually added to until the end of the 18th century.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to the Bodleian in 1885.
Quires of 18, 16, 16 and 12 leaves. Watermark, coat of arms. Ruling, 10 5-lined staves, red marginal ruling. Stitched within dark blue paper covers.
- Lowe | Edward | 1610-1682 | composer, music copyist, organist and writer on music (Person)
- Carissimi | Giacomo | 1605-1674 | composer (Person)
- Facchi | Agostino | d 1662 | composer and organist (Person)
- Marini | Francesco Maria | fl 1637 | composer (Person)
- Sances | Giovanni Felice | c 1600-1679 | composer and singer (Person)
- Motets by Italian composers copied by four hands
- EAD version 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description